Normandy at Easter -- grocery shopping

(7 Posts)
IreneR Mon 17-Mar-14 17:43:04

I'm flying to Paris the day before Easter, and driving straight to Normandy for a week's stay in a gite. Given the length of the drive to Normandy, we probably won't arrive until 8 pm or so, after the grocery stores have closed.

The next day is Easter Sunday, the day after that a bank holiday.

Any chance that a grocery store that is generally open on Sundays from 9 am to noon might be open on Easter morning? There is a Sunday market in Port en Bessin; will that operate on Easter?

Can anyone reassure me that we'll be able to stock up on naice things from somewhere to keep us going until Tuesday?

FreckledLeopard Mon 17-Mar-14 17:58:25

Wonder if you've rented my gite?!

I'm pretty sure the market at Port-en-Bessin will be there as usual on Easter Sunday. I've never known it not to be. It might make sense to stop on the way from Paris at a supermarket and get a few bits. I'm pretty sure that despite Easter, all local shops will still be open as normal on Easter Sunday morning (boulangerie, boucherie etc), even for an hour or so)

IreneR Mon 17-Mar-14 18:11:46

Well, that's a relief -- good to know we won't starve! I wondered about stopping somewhere else before the stores close. Thanks for making me feel a little bit better about the arrangements.

(Is your gite in Longues sur Mer? I would love to be renting from a MNetter!)

Bonsoir Mon 17-Mar-14 18:14:55

I'm sure all the markets will be open as usual on Sunday morning.

Blu Mon 17-Mar-14 18:18:34

Break your journey at a Carrefour on the way! Then you can have a good picnic from the deli counter for your lunch.

Blu Mon 17-Mar-14 18:19:26

Or SuperU or Auchan...

FreckledLeopard Tue 18-Mar-14 09:34:08

Ah, no. Not Longues Sur Mer. Mine's near Balleroy!

Have a lovely time in Normandie!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now