Anyone know any small clusters of gites in France but not in...

(10 Posts)
Lovage Mon 17-Mar-14 13:15:15

Brittany, Normandy, Poitou-Charente, or anywhere in the southern third (too hot in the school hols)?

So we love going to France, and we love staying in a small group of gites with a large garden where you can be pretty sure of finding other families with kids = instant free kids' club. But it's really hard to search for clusters of gites (there may be some search term I don't know - if so, please do tell me!). One or two listings sites do let you search for grouped gites (ownersdirect, I think) but they don't seem to have many of them. I can find a few set ups in Brittany and Poitou-Charente, but we've been to those bits of France lots. And further south that that is probably too hot. Burgundy would be lovely.

Anyone happen to know anywhere or good leads for searching for clusters of gites?

PortofinoRevisited Mon 17-Mar-14 20:24:44

Chez Nous is a pretty good website that also lets you search for grouped properties. This would be my personal recommendation for Northernish France - and was originally a MN recommendation. Or here in the Dordogne. We stayed in both places 2 summers ago and it was warm enough to swim but not roasting by any means.

I was looking for similar Burgandy way this year, but never found anything at all. We have gone for Mobile homes in Jura and here further south as there are kids clubs and lots of activities. Dd (10) was bored at at our gite complex near La Rochelle last summer - kids all much younger, meaning we spent more money going out. This year she is hoping to make friends and "hang out" without uncool parents...we will see....

Lovage Mon 17-Mar-14 21:41:49

Thank you very much! That Loire one looks great. So does the Dordogne one, but I don't think we'd cope with the heat that far south (and I'm not brave enough to take my kids out of school, even though they are only 5 and 7, which is probably feeble of me...)

I did find a couple of places with two gites together in Burgundy or 2 family gites and 1 2 person gite, through gites de France, but we decided just one other family gite was too risky in terms of kids not finding playmates. Let me know if you want me to dig them out for future plans.

PortofinoRevisited Mon 17-Mar-14 21:44:43

it honestly was not hot in the Dordogne. I think if you are talking Med coast then yes - it is warm. Dordogne is not up to Greece/Turkey in terms of temperature.

PortofinoRevisited Mon 17-Mar-14 21:47:33

And I would be careful. Last year - the gite owner ASSURED me that there were children the same age as dd. She neglected to mention that they were Dutch.

caramelgirl Mon 17-Mar-14 21:54:34

We stayed at le pavilion de st agnan (battery going so no time to link to MN thread on it or Tripadvisor but I gave a fairly detailed review). We were out of season but tons of people in season apparently. Heated pool too, but yes, about half Dutch.
We have same quest for our 4y6m old. Easter we are trying Minorca and July Villa Pia.
Good luck!

maillotjaune Tue 18-Mar-14 17:35:16

Yep Chez Nous is a good website. Dordogne temperatures v. variable (I see someone saying it's not that hot but we've had a couple of holidays were the temperature was 35 degrees plus for most of a fortnight, edging up to nearly 40 before the weather broke spectacularly).

MrsFruitcake Tue 18-Mar-14 17:57:52

Have you looked on the Gites de France website? We used them last year and have booked again this year.

caramelgirl Tue 18-Mar-14 19:14:32

Longeveau also looked great- but v booked ip

Lovage Tue 18-Mar-14 21:14:05

Yes, I've looked on gites de France. Oh how I have looked on gites de France! What they don't seem to have is many clusters of gites (understandably given that it was originally diversification for farmers with a spare cow shed!) and I can't find anything on the website that lets you search for clusters.

Thanks for the other recommendations. I do think the Dordogne would be too hot for us but we'll see how Poitou-Charente is this year. Maybe we are more heat-tolerant than I imagine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now