Can I fly with a passport near to expiring?

(16 Posts)
AnneOfCleavage Mon 17-Mar-14 11:29:06

My passport expires on July 27th 2014. We are due to go to France (from England) July 21st-24th by Ferry. Years ago my DH's passport was near to expiring and they let him through as it was fairly local and we'd be back before the expiry actual date but I wondered if the laws had changed.

We aren't due to go away again until probably next year now as planning our 40th this summer - but friends in France have invited us to stay for a few days - and so I don't want to pay for a new passport until I really really need to as need to update DD next May too and could do it at the same time.

Thanks in advance smile

AlpacaLypse Mon 17-Mar-14 11:30:37

Contact the ferry company. Some airlines definitely have a policy of passports needing at least six months.

google says:

Passport validity

For stays of up to 3 months your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay; you don’t need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this. For stays of longer than 3 months, contact the French Embassy for further information about entry requirements.

meditrina Mon 17-Mar-14 11:31:51

Within Europe (EU and EEA) you need only the duration of the proposed stay. It's prudent to have a bit longer than that in case plans change, but not a requirement.

AnneOfCleavage Mon 17-Mar-14 11:34:04

Gosh you guys thank you so much for your swift replies. Think I may risk it then.

scared to ask passport office in case they insist I do it now 'just to make sure' cos I'd feel awful disobeying them in case I'm tempting fate

wigglesrock Mon 17-Mar-14 18:09:51

Both myself & my sister have done it - to Spain & Portugal with a few weeks left on our passport after return date. We'd no bother at all.

AlpacaLypse Mon 17-Mar-14 18:34:39

Do you actually need your passport between now and July? I think you get credited with the extra period of validity if you send it for renewal before the time's up.

If you do renew your passport, beware of the scammy sites that have spread over the net like a rash. Several threads about them recently.

The safest method is to go to the Post Office and physically collect a form.

https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport - can fill in the form online (they will add on up to 9 months from the old passport) and then they will send it out for you to sign.

AnneOfCleavage Mon 17-Mar-14 19:20:44

Thanks for the new replies. Wiggle I too wouldn't have been worried if there were weeks left but this would be 3 days.

AlpacaLypse thanks for the heads up re scammers. I read one of those threads yesterday but thankfully I do the P.O check and sign way.

ilove As I don't need my passport until probably next April now I don't want to have to renew it if this one will do as I'll only be adding 3 months on however if I wait until next year I'll have saved approx. 7months.

Food for thought though so thanks again everyone smile thanks

Bunbaker Mon 17-Mar-14 21:19:25

I'm not sure I would risk it.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Tue 18-Mar-14 10:13:08

You need to check with the ferry company. As mentioned above some airlines will refuse to let you fly with less than 6 months on your passport so ferry companies could be the same.

It wouldn't be much fun if you turned up on the day were refused boarding because your passport didn't have enough time on it...

Also what happens if or something happens to delay your journey home for a few days, your passport would have expired then and it would cause you a lot of problems.

I wouldn't take a chance if it was me.

princessalbert Tue 18-Mar-14 10:44:07

It should be okay.

One year we came home the day before DS' passport expired. The French Immigration pointed it out- but only in a helpful way.

However, as above, what if something untoward happened? If you were delayed abroad- then your passport would expire.

If you renew in advance they do add on the extra months - so you don't actually lose much time on there.

SteamboatSprings Sat 22-Mar-14 16:22:49

Have you thought about if something were to happen whilst you were abroad though, that meant you were delayed for a few days or weeks though? If one of you had an accident or fell ill and were hospitalised for instance. You wouldn't need the extra hastle and worry of an expired passport on top of that surely?

Sorry to be all doom & gloom, but if it were me I'd rather be safe than sorry and get my passport renewed before travelling. You've not got much room for error otherwise.

BertieBotts Sat 22-Mar-14 16:24:50

When you renew your passport they add on the extra months up to a maximum of 15 months I think. So you don't need to wait until it's just about to expire. Mine expires in October and I'm about to renew it now.

They add on up to 9 months as per the link given earlier

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now