First holiday on my own with my 4.5 yo DS. Ideas please?

(11 Posts)
Newbeginning1 Sun 16-Mar-14 09:10:23

I'm thinking I need to brave a holiday with my DS as I've not been able to build up to doing it before and I want to do it before he starts school.

I'd ideally like to take him in late May or early June with somewhere in the UK or abroad as long as it's not too far.

He doesn't particularly like it being really hot and I could do with somewhere with good transport so we can go exploring. Ideally the cheaper the better!

My first holiday with DS alone was youth hosteling in Ireland. I hired a car and took buses. It was really lovely. I met some interesting people, saw some amazing places and it helped me gain confidence in holidaying alone. DS loved it. He was 2.5.

Youth hostels are great. They have double rooms and you can move around - see castles, beaches, mountains, zoos. We went onto inter-railing in Spain, Italy, Sweden and Norway.

Good luck grin

mrsnec Sun 16-Mar-14 09:24:07

If it's the UK you're thinking of then I'd consider Devon loads to do in the south hams region if the trains are up and running by then. There used to be a round robin ticket where you could explore the local towns by boat, bus and train. If you want abroad but not too far or too hot the Costa brava or dorada would be good id also consider some of the holiday parks in the new forest, you can easily do Bournemouth and Poole from there. I also think Weymouth is lovely and very family friendly.

makemineapinot Sun 16-Mar-14 19:22:07

I took my young dc (5&6) here on our first holiday as a single parent family! Was scary but the campsite (in a mobile home so you can lock the door!!) was perfect as a single parent. Kids made loads of friends by the mobile and in parks area and by the pool. Then in the evening (after kiddie disco of course!!) I had a social life as well as most of our neighbours sat out by their mobile so we all joined together for a drink and kids played then went to bed! I always closed/locked doors and windows of the side of the mobile away from me and left the door/window next to where we were sitting open so I could hear them. We've also done campsite holidays in France and they were also perfect - didn't mean I was stuck on a balcony early if dc were tired! You can do it on your own - on our first holiday just the three of us we also went to Venice which was amazing and dc still talk about it!!
If you want to stay in the uk, how about centre parcs as there's lots of outdoor space there, or Haven type places so you get some company as well?

princessalbert Sun 16-Mar-14 19:28:00

I took DS abroad alone when he was a similar age. It was all very last minute, so I didn't have time to worry about it.

We went to Costa Teguise in Lanzarote. It was an apartment in a complex with entertainment and restaurants, bars etc.

It was really easy, as very family friendly.

During the day we Hung out on the beach or by the pool. Evenings were watching the kids disco and some of the evening show.

We were self catering, but ate out lots too.

The weather was great, which helps with planning days out.

MeepMeepVrooom Sun 16-Mar-14 19:33:42

I took my DD last year (22 months) to Tunisia and we are away to Ibiza (the quiet side) later this year.

I wouldn't recommend Tunisa on your own to be honest although we did have a great time we were in a secluded spot and were told it wasn't a particularly safe area for a woman and child to go out alone. It was however cheap so if you do definitely do your research on where you're staying.

Hopefully Ibiza will be better. Have a great time wherever you end up grin

PinkMacaroons Sun 16-Mar-14 19:33:59

Just lurking, but I really, really like Tea's suggestions!

MeepMeepVrooom Sun 16-Mar-14 19:39:39

Sorry the if you do go abroad definitely do your research where you're staying (actual location not just country/town).

wigglesrock Mon 17-Mar-14 18:15:42

MeepMeep.... we've been taking the kids away to Ibiza for a few years. We first went away with dd1 when she was 23 months - it was brilliant, that's why we kept going back smile . There have been 2 of us & varying numbers of kids but there always been lots of parents on their own with their kids. I hope you have a fab time.

MeepMeepVrooom Mon 17-Mar-14 18:19:21

Thanks wiggles. What part of the island did you go to?

wigglesrock Mon 17-Mar-14 18:36:02

We usually go to Santa Eulalia, but are heading up the coast a little bit this year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now