Place to stay in Barcelona?

(14 Posts)
SoldeInvierno Mon 24-Mar-14 18:57:10

You can look at restaurants in www.eltenedor.es Good site and when you book it sends you a confirmation txt to your UK mobile

ihatethecold Tue 18-Mar-14 17:54:14

It's called the magic fountain and it's fab.
In low season it only does a show at weekends.
Check before you visit it.

You must go to the market ob las ramblas called La Bouqueria.

It's a feast for the eyes. Cheap breakfasts, good if you want to make a picnic, it has all sorts.

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Tue 18-Mar-14 14:51:09

Best tip I heard for la Sagrada Familia is to get there early to avoid the crowds.

As far as restaurants are concerned, there are so many and the city is so massive, that if you try to chase after someone's recommendation, you will be zipping all over the place and passing loads of other great restaurants while you do it, so I don't bother with that, unless its a really unique restaurant such as Tickets.

Sadly we didn't go there because DP isn't very adventurous food wise sad. Often, I just go for the nearest Spanish restaurant I see, and they're usually pretty good.

Just don't go for the giant glasses of Sangria on Las Ramblas unless you are happy with the equally giant price (I think they were about 12 euros each and we had to go to the cash machine to pay the bill).

There's also an Arc de Triomphe (like in Paris) at the top of a really nice park and I loved the outdoor escalators near Guell park.

There's a lovely fountain that is lit with with a musical accompaniment at night. I think its near Montjuic/Olympic Park (which has great views in the daytime).

If you're going for more than a couple of days, you can also get the train to other nearby seaside resorts for a change of scene.

Ooo lucky you I love Barcelona. Have a great time.

Forago Tue 18-Mar-14 09:40:40

Thanks all - have booked an apt through your links - looks very nice. It is near Sagrada Familia which hopefully isn't too bad to get to everywhere else from (I went years ago and don't remember it being too far out).

What beach options are there in case the weather is nice? Is everything in Barceloneta? (will look for other thread also)

Suttonmum1 Mon 17-Mar-14 21:25:02

We are using AirBnB for Apartment in Barceloneta, we fancied being near the beach. See you at Camp Nou! I notice the chocolate museum has some (somewhat overpriced) chocolate workshops.

thenightsky Sun 16-Mar-14 00:47:02

sorry.. that link should be to the Bonavista apartments just off Passag de Gracia. Fab location for metro and lovely local restaurants and bars.

thenightsky Sun 16-Mar-14 00:44:48

We had a fab stay with these people...

excellent location

I can't wait to go again.

AnythingNotEverything Sun 16-Mar-14 00:37:08

Parc Guell!

angelcake20 Sun 16-Mar-14 00:24:14

We've always had apartments when we've stayed in Barcelona with DCs, though the last time was 3 years ago. We've used BCNfriendly the last couple of times, who have always been very helpful and organised, but there are other similar companies. We like staying in Barceloneta as it's handy for the beach and the harbour but it's not smart enough for some people - depends what you want to do. Check the other Barcelona thread for things to do; we like cable car and Montjuic, Tibidabo, aquarium, trip to Montserrat, Sagrada Familia, harbour boat trip. We spend hours just pottering on Montjuic, round the harbour, down Las Ramblas, round the Old Town; loads of playgrounds, ice cream, Gaudi, markets etc to distract.

ihatethecold Fri 14-Mar-14 19:15:31

Zoo, cable car, aquarium. Beach.
If you want a lovely hotel, we stayed at hotel Barcelona catedral.
Very central and a lovely swimming pool on the roof.
Comfiest bed I've ever slept in.

Forago Fri 14-Mar-14 14:49:51

fab - unfortunately I have left it to the last minute and its for the end of the month eeek! but will look now!!

Any recommendations for activities would be great to and places to eat. We are going for 5 days. We have been before many years ago pre-kids. Children are 9, 6 and 3.

9y old insists we must go to the Neukamp ....

ihatethecold Fri 14-Mar-14 14:02:50

Try Airbnb.
If you need an apartment.
You will love Barcelona.

Forago Fri 14-Mar-14 13:57:37

Could someone recommend a place for us to stay in Barcelona next month - 2 adults, 3 children - preferably city centre - apartment maybe?

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now