Cheap but good Med in summer

(12 Posts)
Ohanarama Thu 13-Mar-14 18:57:04

Would love to take the family abroad this summer for a bit of sunshine/beech/pool but as restricted to school holidays everything is very expensive!!
Can anyone recommend any cheapish but still clean/safe/nice resorts or hotels? I'm thinking Spain is probably the cheapest place but not fussy really?

It depends what you class as cheap.

We are going to a quieter part of Rhodes - 5 people bed and breakfast in a nice hotel is costing us £3100 for a week. Its the cheapest we could find for a package.

Alternatively you could DIY - get an apartment on and try and pick up some cheaper flights with Ryanair or Easyjet.

Ohanarama Thu 13-Mar-14 20:32:10

No by cheap I mean about �300 each tops!

bonvivant Thu 13-Mar-14 21:57:04

Look for cheap flights on skyscanner and book self-catering directly or perhaps go camping?

PortofinoRevisited Thu 13-Mar-14 23:05:19

Agree - look for flights on Skyscanner then check out Owners Direct, or even Where would you fly from. I love looking for holidays so might find you a bargain.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 14-Mar-14 10:34:10

If you are looking at £300 for flights and accommodation I think it would need to be somewhere like Spain as flights to somewhere like Greece or Turkey will cost that alone now.

Ohanarama Sat 15-Mar-14 00:13:51

Maybe coach or car travel is the way to go then??

cheerup Sat 15-Mar-14 07:41:58

Agree re flights which seem very expensive this year. Even driving might be a challenge for 1200 - assuming there are 4 of you. Unless you have or can borrow camping equipment? Travel and a pitch could definitely be done for 300 each, probably for two weeks. If you don't have equipment you might be able to rent a tent from Venue holidays within your budget.

Also might be worth having a look at Gites De France for an apartment in Languedoc somewhere? The med is a long way to drive for a week though.

Or look at Skyscanner to see if and when there are any affordable flights and then look at owners direct/holiday lettings etc to see if there's any accommodation available.

Or combo of the above.

chosenone Sat 15-Mar-14 07:45:04

Have a look on love holidays. You can filter choices to show you prices low to high etc...and it will show you a range of holiday/flights/board options. At the end of the summer holidays you will find a holiday that suits your budget.

Ohanarama Sat 15-Mar-14 08:40:46

Not heard of love holidays - thanks! Will have a look now...

Have seen some holidays in our budget which are coach holidays to Spain with overnight coach travel. Not sure if I DARE do that with kids though. Wonder if the awful journey would be worth the holiday in the sun?

Creamycoolerwithcream Sat 15-Mar-14 17:20:12

I'd recommend looking on Travel Republic for flights to Barcelona and accommodation in Costa Dorada or Costa Brava.

Onykahonie Sat 15-Mar-14 17:28:23

Have a look at Alvor in Portugal. Not sure what it's like yet, but we found a good deal for Easter (flights booked with Ryanair, accommodation booked directly). It has a lovely beach and seems family friendly from the reviews on Trip Advisor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now