Best Holiday Village in your opinion?

(9 Posts)
hulahoopsilove Tue 11-Mar-14 15:40:04

Looking to book one for next year, which would you book? DS age 9 loves slides so lots to do for him please we love good food so that for us simple!

smartiepantsgirl Tue 11-Mar-14 15:50:10

Only been to the one in the Algarve, but it ticked all the boxes with regards to a family holiday. Had loads of fun, plenty to do for all ages, fantastic reps and great accommodation & food.

hulahoopsilove Wed 19-Mar-14 13:25:53

other sites peoole are raving about Rhodes - anyone been?

AryaUnderfoot Wed 19-Mar-14 15:35:23

We went to HV Rhodes in 2011 and Turkey in 2013. Rhodes is quite a bit nicer than Turkey but is so much more expensive - I don't think the difference in price is justified.

I could go on and on about the differences between the two, but the best thing to do is send me a PM if you want to know specific differences/things about the hotel.

Are you planning on booking on launch day? I think it's the 24th April this year (although FC are being very vague on their facebook page).

One warning - there is an age restriction on the decent slides in Rhodes - 12 years. They seem to have varied between being very strict about it and not strict at all. The slides in Turkey have a restriction of 1.2m - but they don't pay any attention to it whatsoever.

sunglasses Wed 19-Mar-14 19:55:04

What is launch day?
I have been to Portugal and Rhodes. Portugal was good, accommodation was large and had kitchen etc if you wanted to prepare some food in apartment. Let down for me was all the entertainment was inside a room that resembled a working mens club. V loud and a bit tacky. Surely its better to be outside when the evening temperatures are so warm.
Rhodes was lovely, clean, nice restaurant etc but location was rubbish. There is nothing outside the holiday village at all.

AryaUnderfoot Wed 19-Mar-14 22:25:07

Turkey was even worse for location - literally in the middle of nowhere. There is a private beach, but it wasn't very impressive.

Lots of people rave about the one in Tunisia, but there is nothing to do outside the complex and the basic rooms have no balcony. I think the Ibiza one looks lovely, although we've had enough of HVs (and AI in general) so won't go to another one.

sunglasses Launch day is the day that brochures are released for the following year. Holidays for April-October 2015 will most likely (if past years are anything to go by) be launched on the last Thursday in April. That is definitely the day to get the best deal if you are stuck with school holidays. The prices gradually creep up during the year for 'popular' dates, so you generally get a better deal at launch. It's also the day you are most likely to get a free child place for the school holidays.

pud1 Wed 19-Mar-14 22:40:20

I have been to Portugal and Lanzarote.

Portugal was great. Rooms had bunk beds for the dds. Entertainment staff were brilliant. It's smaller so I preferred the atmosphere.

When I booked Lanzarote I was not sure about it at all. It only has an official 2 star rating but I have since found out that this is due to things that cannot be changed like the lack of lifts due to the lay out. We had a bungalow type room. It was right on the beach. The food was fab. The entertainment staff wasn't as good but I did put that down to the size.

Hersetta Wed 19-Mar-14 23:02:41

We have been to Egypt, Turkey and kos. Would not go back to Turkey but the other two were excellent. This year we are trying Tunisia and going back to kos.

we have been twice to Tunisia, once to Turkey (was ill after that holiday), Egypt (was good but v v hot). Dont go for a themed room in Tunisia as you dont get a balcony so go for a family room instead.

We are trying the Tenerife one this year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now