Mar Menor, La Manga, Murcia - any top tips?

(9 Posts)
dinkystinky Mon 10-Mar-14 15:15:32

We're off to La Manga (not the resort), staying by Mar Menor, in April with an 8 yo, 5 yo and 8 month old. We're not golfers. The older 2 like beaches and playgrounds. I'm rather looking forward to some sunshine having had a taste of it this weekend. Anyone been to the area before and have any top tips on what to do (and what not to do)?

beanandspud Tue 11-Mar-14 18:25:19

Assuming that you'll have a car there are some nice, smallish beach resorts along the coast if you go north from La Manga and they are more typically Spanish than the La Manga strip itself. Cartagena is worth a visit if you want a 'city day' and Murcia itself is also lovely.

There is a zoo and waterpark just outside Murcia which is a good day out - you often get a free pass to go back a second time so don't leave it until the final day!

We've been a few times and are going back in May, I'll have a think of other places we've visited whilst there. Whereabouts are you staying?

magentastardust Tue 11-Mar-14 20:21:34

We liked Cartagena and Murcia too for walking around/cafes etc.
los Alcazares had some nice restaurants too-there is a really nice one called El Patio -think they have a website -the food is really nice.
We really didn't like the strip at La Manga but only had a quick visit to be fair but it was very soul less and not particularly nice.
Also somewhere I can't remember for a beach -I want to San something de pinitar maybe?
The Mar menor has a warm lagoon so very safe for young children-no big waves or strong currents. Watch out for Jelly fish though!

magentastardust Tue 11-Mar-14 20:24:33

San Pedro Del Pinitar!

dinkystinky Sun 23-Mar-14 14:25:34

Thanks and sorry its taken me a while to come back to the thread - we will have a car and DS1 is very keen to check out the zoo and waterpark outside Murcia beanandspud - is it easy to locate? I like the sound of Cartagena and San Pedro del Pinitar.

We're going to be staying at Libertad Dos Playas which is apparently on the main road in La Manga.

NigellasDealer Sun 23-Mar-14 14:30:32

Los Nietos

magentastardust Mon 24-Mar-14 14:12:20

The beach was nice along La Manga strip If I remember correctly? So handy having the car , I always like getting out and about and exploring so we can find beaches/cafe's/squares that we really like.
We also spent a day in Alicante , kids enjoyed a boat trip around the harbour and then we just wandered around ice cream shops and cafe's!
We were there in July though so very hot-April will be a better temperature if you are out and about doing things.
The water on the Costa Calida is very warm , so great for the little ones.

dinkystinky Mon 24-Mar-14 14:46:06

Wonderful - am getting excited about our trip now. Thanks so much for the additional suggestions.

OnGoldenPond Sat 29-Mar-14 17:20:23

My parents live nearby in Mazarron. For quieter resorts frequented by the Spanish try round the coast past Cartagena - Puerto de Mazarron has a lovely long beach and beautiful promenade. Aguilar is lovely as well. Sunday market at Puerto de Mazarron is legendary, we never miss it when we visit. Vast choice of clothes, hats, bags, fans etc and really cheap. Also fantastic churro and chicken stands.

Cartagena is great too. There are quite often open air concerts in high season so look on the internet for details. Loads of roman remains to see. The roman theatre and museum is fantastic, more recent excavations will be open soon I think.

Will be there in a couple of weeks for a quick visit - can't wait!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now