Paris hotel. Which area is old, safe, atmospheric, not hugely expensive

(11 Posts)
Frozennortherner Sun 09-Mar-14 07:46:17

Looking for romantic (think writer's garret rather than flowery stylish), old style flat or hotel for 2 people for a long weekend. Can t be hugely expensive. Just want to see a few sights, cafes, soak up atmosphere.

Any recommendations?

Wineoclocksomewhere Sun 09-Mar-14 07:49:09

Very little in Paris is cheap: save harder!

Frozennortherner Sun 09-Mar-14 08:09:18

I appreciate Paris isn't cheap, Wine. I said 'not hugely expensive'. There must be a sliding scale of hotel costs. I was just wondering if anyone had stayed in any hotel /appt with character, relatively reasonably priced.

Frozennortherner Sun 09-Mar-14 08:10:06

Thanks Pottering for the Albe link. I'll check it out but it may be a bit too 'new'

I think it's been done up recently - my mum and dad first stopped there as students in the 70's and have been going ever since - it definitely used to be a bit more tough and ready but it's in the perfect location!

Look around the Latin quarter - definitely the place to be!

alifemoreordinary Sun 09-Mar-14 17:22:56

http://www.eurocheapo.com/paris/hotel/hotel-esmeralda.html

Was lovely when I stayed there a couple of years back.

Lots of great paris boltholes on eurocheapo in general.

wigglesrock Sun 09-Mar-14 19:29:19

We stay in hotel Excelsior Latin, it's in the Latin Quarter. We really like it & the area. Last time we were there (Oct) it was roughly €100 a night per room.

wigglesrock Sun 09-Mar-14 19:30:03

that's supposed to be 100 euros smile

Frozennortherner Sun 09-Mar-14 21:22:38

Thanks Alfie and wiggles. Will look them up

audrey01 Tue 01-Apr-14 13:19:16

Last time I visited Paris I stayed in this hotel, a small outfit, but clean and very conveniently located to all major attractions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now