Lanzarote and snorkelling.?

(12 Posts)
oddsocksmostly Sat 08-Mar-14 16:09:45

Thank everybody, back to the drawing board then!

yourlittlesecret Sat 08-Mar-14 11:15:43

Lanzarote is in the Atlantic not the med, certainly the sea is quite cold at this time of year (in fact a bit too cold for me in the height of summer). I don't think it is particularly, good for snorkelling.

bonvivant Fri 07-Mar-14 22:14:15

My definition of good snorkelling is a wide variety of fish and sealife colourful fish, generally to be found in or around coral reefs. In Egypt, we saw that plus more besides including rays, sea snakes, turtles etc. If that exists in the Mediterranean, then I'd really like to know about it as I would love to visit!

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Fri 07-Mar-14 21:57:36

What's your definition of good snorkeling bonvivant? I know it's not as good as the Red Sea but DP and I were snorkeling in mallorca last year and saw loads of different fish in clear warm water. We even had a cormorant dive in and grab one from in front of us.

Menorca is supposed to be pretty good for snorkelling too.

bonvivant Fri 07-Mar-14 21:16:27

Egypt Red Sea is amazing snorkelling. I'm going to Aqaba, Jordan, later this year but based on my research, I'm not expecting the snorkelling at Aqaba to be a patch on Egypt.

pootlebug Fri 07-Mar-14 19:57:28

We stayed on La Graciosa, which is a tiny island just north of Lanzarote, in October. In the bay in front of the hamlet of Pedro Barba, within metres of the shore, it was like swimming in an aquarium the first day.

Unfortunately that night there was a huge storm that drove a big pile of mud from the hills into the bay and that made the snorkelling trickier the rest of the week. Although to be fair you just had to go out a bit further out of the main harbour area to still see stuff, but the water was deeper there.

We saw quite a lot of boats with people going diving in various places off the island, if that would be an option too. I am guessing that by now the mud would have cleared at Pedro Barba but I couldn't be sure. I loved it there but it's not for everyone....a tiny hamlet with no shops/bars etc, 6km along the coast path to get to a shop. A couple of self catering properties for rent.

rachyconks Fri 07-Mar-14 19:51:02

Lanzarote is in the Atlantic, so won't be good for snorkelling at this time of year. Second the pp who suggested the Red Sea. Bar going to the Caribbean, it's your best bet at this time. Some great deals about for it too.

givemeaclue Fri 07-Mar-14 19:50:29

Didn't find snorkelling I lanzarote very good I am afraid

SteamboatSprings Fri 07-Mar-14 19:48:19

I would have thought Eilat in Israel or Aquaba in Jordan if you're seriously wanting good snorkelling close to home.

Red Sea at any time for snorkelling

Would be nice temp at this time of year. .

bonvivant Fri 07-Mar-14 19:46:02

I didn't think there were any decent snorkelling options in the Med. If so, I would like to know about them!

oddsocksmostly Wed 05-Mar-14 19:58:51

I'm looking for some heat in the next few weeks! Can anybody recommend anywhere to stay that would have good snorkelling? Or would it be too cold at present?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now