Has anyone ever done a PGL/ Acorn type family holiday?

(6 Posts)
Slapntickleothewenches Mon 17-Feb-14 10:05:34

Just that really smile
We (like everybody else) are now tied to holidaying in school holidays and I am aghast at the prices sad
I saw a review on here for an Acorn site in Wales and this got me thinking and researching. It appears that we could get 6 nights in S.France, in tented accommodation, all travel (ferry and coach) fully catered and all activities including a 2 day Ardeche canoe descent for a fraction over £1500 for DH, DS and I.
All we will need on top is cash for the bar and ice creams, travel to the coach pick up point, as well as an optional excursion.

I worry that a 13 hour coach journey is too much, though we normally drive that distance quite happily ourselves. This does leave us with no car while we are there which means no exploring the local area, though the itinerary is so packed I doubt we would have time anyway.
Overall it's just so far away from the norm for us, I'm not sure whether to just book it and accept that at the very least it will be hot grin
Any experience or advice would be very welcome smile

mummymeister Tue 18-Feb-14 19:56:49

my kids go on PGL every year. they love it. there are always lots of families there too. look at the one in france where you canoe down the river to the watersports centre. this one is fab.

phoenix2011 Thu 27-Mar-14 12:50:34

Hi , I took my d

phoenix2011 Thu 27-Mar-14 12:53:10

Hi I took my 7 yr old son to acorn in wales last Summer
We had a fantastic time , the staff are great with the kids , the activities suited all ages and the food really impressed , I was expecting pretty basic stuff but it was great
I hAvnt used any other activity companies to compare with but for price they are hard to beat for hat you get
I d

phoenix2011 Thu 27-Mar-14 12:54:52

Hi I took my 7 yr old son to acorn in wales last Summer
We had a fantastic time , the staff are great with the kids , the activities suited all ages and the food really impressed , I was expecting pretty basic stuff but it was great
I hAvnt used any other activity companies to compare with but for price they are hard to beat for what you get
I'll definitely be going with them again , friends I went with have already booked for Normandy this summer and can't wait

heatherkayejones Thu 27-Mar-14 19:04:59

I went to Brecon with Acorn last summer with my 15 year old son. We had such a good time. The staff were brilliant and the food was really really good! The tents are basic but you have proper beds and you don't really need any more. Make sure you take good sleeping bags and fleecy blankets - it's cold at night even when the weather is good! The activities were well supervised and very enjoyable - it was fine for parents to sit out and relax if they wanted to whilst the kids enjoyed the activities, well looked after by the staff. The site in France looks lovely - if you fancy it, I'd say give it a go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now