San Sebastian Spain - any recommendations for family accommodation

(9 Posts)
Umlauf Mon 03-Mar-14 19:07:32

You don't need a car but if you have/rent one you can visit:

- The Balenciaga museum in his birthtown of Getaria (20 mins away)
- San Juan de Gaztelugatxe, the "most beautiful place in Spain" (it looks like the church in the sea in the Mamma Mia film.)
- hondarribia (pp mentioned) just stunning
- loyola (interesting cathedral hidden in the middle of mountains and next to basque towns so remote that spanish is barely spoken)
- mutriku - fishing village 1 hour away with natural sea water swimming pools like Darrel has in Mallory Towers!
- lekeitio - another fishing village with an island that you can walk to when the tides are out and picnic on and have to wait for the low tide to walk back again, feels like a famous five adventure!

San Sebastian itself is lovely too of course but I struggle to entertain guests in the city for more than a weekend, although they insist on coming when its pissing it down!!

Smugfearnleyshittingstool Mon 03-Mar-14 13:00:53

Hondaribbia (sp) beautiful little town nearby, we visited the parador hotel which was very special

jammietart Mon 03-Mar-14 12:29:37

We rented from here last summer:
http://www.feelfreerentals.com/en
it was fine, apartment comfortable, in the Centro district approx 3 min walk from La Concha beach (where we spent our days) and the Old Quarter (where we spent our evenings).
Its all apartments in the centre I would say. You don't need a car but if you happen to have one make sure your apartement has some kind of parking close by as the bike/pedestrian is king in San Seb!
Are you going for the Jazz Festival?

Umlauf Fri 28-Feb-14 16:06:25

Will you have a car? In the city itself I'd be surprised if you can find a villa with a pool but int the countryside outside you might be lucky. It's very built up and residential.

There will be lots of apartments though. You can never get a year round rental contract as landlords want to charge more to tourists in July and August!

Steben Tue 18-Feb-14 14:19:32

No help but I have been pre kids and such am amazing place! Have fun

myfriendbill Tue 18-Feb-14 14:15:56

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/s/San-Sebastian-?checkin=12-07-2014&checkout=19-07-2014&guests=5&room_types%5B%5D=Entire+home%2Fapt&sw_lat=43.29045693470059&sw_lng=-2.0168117441771756&ne_lat=43.35649091264569&ne_lng=-1.9534686960814724&zoom=13&search_by_map=true

This might help.

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 17-Feb-14 08:05:41

Thank you! DH goes every year mountain biking and said it will need to be an apartment so will carry on searching.

thanks.

Matsikula Sun 16-Feb-14 21:33:24

Hello, don't really have a particular recommendation, except to try searching using 'Donostia' as well as San Sebastian, and perhaps in Spanish as well, as it is a very Spanish destination. Also, I suspect you'll struggle to find a villa with a pool near the restaurants at a reasonable price - it is quite densely built - feels like a little city - so lots of apartment blocks. It's a lovely place, hope you find somewhere!

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 16-Feb-14 10:23:09

please?

We're going the 12th - 19th July and there will be 5 of us.

Reasonable budget, would ideally love villa with pool but can't seem to find one. Apartment also fine - ideally in walking distance of restaurants etc.

thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now