is it possible to take me, dh and 2 teenagers to spain early july for a week with £1500?

(20 Posts)
ssd Fri 14-Feb-14 09:32:18

flying from Glasgow? or north of England at a push...

I've looked and looked and cant find a week under 2k, but cant afford that

and really don't want benadorm or magaluf, and am scared that's all my budget would get us sad

any help really appreciated! x

Aldwick Fri 14-Feb-14 10:01:01

Often works out cheaper to book your own accommodation through owners direct or holiday lettings. Hope you find something.

Frozenatchristmas Fri 14-Feb-14 13:40:19

try jet 2 holidays.

You are just at the start of school holidays so it is going to be pricey. I usually get better deals going from Newcastle rather than Scotland but I think you are going to be lucky at £1500.

Do you want a hotel or an apartment? How old are the teens?

FourAndDone Fri 14-Feb-14 13:49:57

Have just done a quick search on thomas cook, you can do a week in Turkey, fly from Glasgow. Had to guess your dd's ages at 13 and 15 (max is 17) b&b or half board. Around £1600.

FourAndDone Fri 14-Feb-14 13:52:22

Greece £1200

www.thomascook.com/ota/searchresult?durationCattParamsWorkAround=&packagesCurrentPage=0&lastFacetClicked=&lastRoomIndex=0&displayType=detailedView&maxResponses=10&orderType=price_asc&papiUrl=http://api.thomascook.com/papi/s-routed/1.1/offer/package/route{?resortCode,depAirport,occupation*,departureDate,context,duration,boardType*,sort,stars&numberOfRooms=1&prevCacheKey=&destinationDisplay=Greece,+Any&papiDestination=greece-any&papiDeparture=Glasgow&papiDepartureCode=GLA&departureDate=05-Jul-2014&papiDepartureDate=2014075&papiFlexible=true&_papiFlexible=on&papiDuration=7&roomOccupancies[0].numberOfAdults=2&roomOccupancies[0].numberOfChildren=2&roomOccupancies[0].childAges[0]=13&roomOccupancies[0].childAges[1]=15&roomOccupancies[0].childAges[2]=0&roomOccupancies[0].childAges[3]=0&roomOccupancies[0].childAges[4]=0&roomOccupancies[0].childAges[5]=0&roomOccupancies[1].numberOfAdults=2&roomOccupancies[1].numberOfChildren=0&roomOccupancies[1].childAges[0]=0&roomOccupancies[1].childAges[1]=0&roomOccupancies[1].childAges[2]=0&roomOccupancies[1].childAges[3]=0&roomOccupancies[1].childAges[4]=0&roomOccupancies[1].childAges[5]=0&roomOccupancies[2].numberOfAdults=2&roomOccupancies[2].numberOfChildren=0&roomOccupancies[2].childAges[0]=0&roomOccupancies[2].childAges[1]=0&roomOccupancies[2].childAges[2]=0&roomOccupancies[2].childAges[3]=0&roomOccupancies[2].childAges[4]=0&roomOccupancies[2].childAges[5]=0&_stars=on&_stars=on&_stars=on&_stars=on&_stars=on&boardType=0&papiContext[resortCode]=greece-any&papiContext[depAirport]=GLA&papiContext[departureDate]=2014075&papiContext[duration]=7&papiContext[occupation]=2,13,15}

FourAndDone Fri 14-Feb-14 13:53:27

Oops

link

Donki Fri 14-Feb-14 13:58:25

Could you change flights at Heathrow? You can get return flights from Heathrow to A Coruña for £544 ish for the 4 of you (Sat - Sat) on Vueling airlines.
Then find a s/c apartment somewhere in Galicia.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Fri 14-Feb-14 14:01:35

Early July - are you factoring the fines for taking them out of school during term time?

Donki Fri 14-Feb-14 14:02:44

ssd is in Scotland. No fines.

Donki Fri 14-Feb-14 14:03:48

And Scottish schools break up a lot earlier than English ones - and go back earlier too.

seb1 Fri 14-Feb-14 14:21:51

Have pm'd you SSD

magentastardust Fri 14-Feb-14 15:57:12

If you travel from a Newcastle or Manchester in first 2 weeks of Scottish hols flights are quite a bit cheaper than travelling from Glasgow or Edinburgh.
There are loads of nice apartments avail in Spain or Portugal for £400-£500 a week. Still will prob struggle to get it all in for £1500 I think?

rookiemater Fri 14-Feb-14 16:00:21

If you fly from Newcastle rather than Glasgow you can get flights to Murcia with Jet2 from Jul 5th - 12th for £225 per person ( probably need to add in a bit more for bags and so forth).
I just did a quick google and found this lovely looking apartment for £375 for the week.
You'd need to hire a car, or try to find a shuttle service which would probably be around an additional £150.

So all in around £1500 for the four of you. I'm in the wrong job!

sausagefortea Fri 14-Feb-14 16:33:22

We generally manage it on that for week self catering villa, flights and car hire in July.

Try looking on owners direct for costa del azahar. It's a coastal area just up from the Costa Blanca and just down from Valencia probably bit more where Spanish go. Good airports are Valencia or alicante (either about an hour). More likely to find cheaper self catering villas here. Oliva is nice and gandia. Nice sandy beaches. Places to eat.

Just looked and can get flights to alicante with Ryanair for £800. Found this on owners direct for £700 for 3 bed

www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S13720.htm

Not actually been to alcossebre but been several times to that general area. Javea is nice too (probably more your typical (but nice) holiday area. Olivia and gandia are Spanish working towns that also cater for holiday makers - especially near the beaches or the villa areas).

You would need a car though probably.

sausagefortea Fri 14-Feb-14 16:43:35

http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S19902.htm.

Moriara apt with shared infinity pool.£500 3 bed, so car hire could come in £1500 budget too. Moraira is a nice place (tis close to benidorm but no comparison! Teens would prob love a day visit to the aqualandia water park too!)

Lots more options if your teens can share and get a 2 bed apt.

sausagefortea Fri 14-Feb-14 16:48:38

www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S23858.htm

We stayed in Denia at the la sella 'resort' (just means lots of villas on a hillside really). Another place to look out for especially for 2 bed villas with shared pools. Pools are usually shared between 2-3 villas.

rookiemater Fri 14-Feb-14 17:10:23

Always helpful if I attach the link - this is for the costa calida one /www.homeaway.co.uk/Spain/Murcia-Costa-Calida/holiday-golf-holidays-apartment-La-Azohia/p63806.htm

atthestrokeoftwelve Sat 15-Feb-14 07:37:09

Easy to do within your budget. I am in Scotland too and the first two weeks in July is the cheapest, before the English schools break up, prices go up considerably afer that, both for flights and accommodation.

I like to use otbeach.com as a starting point I have just priced up a few holidays and there are hundreds coming in well under your budget.
You can look there and then source flights direct with the airline and accomodation directly.

Flying from Newcastle can be cheap during thta two week window too, as it is in England, so local schools have not broken up. Prestwick is generally cheaper than Glasgow airport too.

There don't seem to be many flight deals around atm, I keep an eye open week by week and check the prices with jet2, Ryanair and easyjet.
Unless you are set on Spain do consider other countries, flights to Portugal are usually cheap, and although flights to Turkey are more expensive things are cheaper once you are there, and all inclusive is usually very cheap.

Keep an open mind and don'rt be afraid to leave it until much closer until you leave there are always last minute bargains.
Last year we flew from Edinburgh - usually expensive- to Malta with Ryanair, we are two adults and two teenagers. Flights with Ryanair including baggage cost £650 and accommodation was £480 for two weeks starting the first week in July.

We booked 3 weeks before we left and stayed here in Gozo:

www.gozovillageholidays.com/villaggtasbejha.html

There are plenty of holidys that you could find for £1500.

ssd Sat 15-Feb-14 09:17:12

thanks everyone

any tips for keeping spending money down once we get somewhere?

sparrowcottage Sat 15-Feb-14 17:48:34

drink wine instead of cola!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now