Mission impossible - where can we afford?

(22 Posts)
Decisionsagain Wed 12-Feb-14 21:41:47

Feeling a bit down but looking on the bright side. We were about to book a fabulous holiday in the USA - we've been planning it for ages. Dh has just been made redundant so that's it. Kids are really disappointed but have been wonderful.

I'm determined to still take them somewhere abroad. But we have four young children and our budget is 3,500 tops. We want to go in August and dh refuses to stay in anywhere less than a 4* : ///. Is it mission impossible? I know villas /apartments are cheaper but I am hopeless at self-catering. I just don't relax and end up doing housework all holiday.

I rang Thomsons earlier and they have said I won't get anything for under 6k. Is that true? In which case I will bow out now and explain to the kids that this year won't be possible. : (

If anyone has found a great hotel at a great place please let me know!!

bonvivant Thu 13-Feb-14 07:23:16

Check out travelsupermarket.com

givemeaclue Thu 13-Feb-14 07:31:49

A week at may half term may be cheaper

mrsnec Thu 13-Feb-14 07:46:13

I think 4k would be more reasonable. The main problem is the cost of the flights. I have to say I don't think Thomson were very helpful they could have at least told you what their cheapest option was for 4 stars on your dates. I know how you feel about selfcatering but it'd be your best bet for keeping costs down and getting a very high standard of accommodation. Try looking at doing it yourself, if you combine easyJet flights or Ryanair flights with a villa from say owners direct or holiday lettings you'd still be looking at quite high costs but it's worth a try.destination wise look at costa dorada maybe then you could take the kids to port aventura.

lljkk Thu 13-Feb-14 07:52:27

Is 4* so essential? (disclaimer, I never go on hols except to see family),

mrsnec Thu 13-Feb-14 08:09:14

I would also add you don't always get other 4 star guests in The cheaper 4* hotels! Something to bear in mind.

girlywhirly Thu 13-Feb-14 09:38:12

I'm sorry that you are in this position, and that Thomsons were unhelpful. However, depending where you go there is sometimes not much difference between a 3 and 4 star accommodation. A lot of the time you pay for facilities available that you may not use e.g. spa, sports etc. that give the hotel the higher rating.

I think that getting some sort of accommodation near a theme park/water park is a good idea, some hol companies offer passes for these as part of a package deal. With a beach as well, I think the kids will love it. Self-cater for breakfast and lunch with no actual cooking involved, eat out for dinner. Get the children to 'share' main meals, I've seen people do this where they order one meal and two plates, then divide up the food between the two, especially if the DC have small appetites. DH and I do this with pizza at lunchtime. Don't eat ice cream as a dessert in a restaurant, buy it from a shop/ kiosk afterwards, much cheaper. Also consider half-board if choosing a hotel instead of A/I, some offer flexible dining options.

If you wanted to go to PortAventura and stay in one of the hotels at the park, Thomas Cook are offering 9 and 12 night stays in addition to the usual 7 or 14, this might save you a bit of money on a 14 night stay and still seem like you've had a decent holiday. Rooms seem to have two double beds in so you'd need to consult them about cost/ accommodation etc. There may be child price reductions.

Frozenatchristmas Thu 13-Feb-14 19:34:44

Don't know what your airport is but from Manchester on 7 August there is Morocoo for a week. Just under £700 pp but 2 free kids places.

Frozenatchristmas Thu 13-Feb-14 19:35:28

Turkey all inclusive on 11 August again from Manchester. £716 each with 2 free kids.

Frozenatchristmas Thu 13-Feb-14 19:37:07

Also, majorca, Tenerife and kefalonia all have all inclusive with 2 free kids places

These are all on thomson. Rubbish agent you spoke to.

Decisionsagain Thu 13-Feb-14 22:43:18

Wow!! Thanks for that Frozenatchristmas. How are you finding these? I need to look myself. Thank you!!

Frozenatchristmas Fri 14-Feb-14 07:01:57

Just on thomson. Put in your airport, leave destination empty and then enter your dates and kids ages. When the holidays come up you can filter from self catering to all inclusive.

Decisionsagain Fri 14-Feb-14 13:00:36

Many thanks. Off for a look.

Decisionsagain Fri 14-Feb-14 13:07:24

Sorry to be a nuisance. How did you find the free kids places?

Frozenatchristmas Fri 14-Feb-14 13:30:13

I will see if I can link it. Hang on.

Frozenatchristmas Fri 14-Feb-14 13:33:55
Frozenatchristmas Fri 14-Feb-14 13:39:01

There are a few on first choice as well. it used to be that both websites had a filter for free kids places but you need to search now. I'd go into a branch and get them to look for you.

Decisionsagain Fri 14-Feb-14 19:02:05

Thank you!!! Really appreciate you taking the time to post.

Frozenatchristmas Fri 14-Feb-14 19:08:37

Good luck. Hope you get something.

specialsubject Sat 15-Feb-14 12:54:37

do you have to go in August? If kids aren't school age, avoid.

4* just means facilities, which may be awful. Doesn't guarantee a decent hotel.

keep an open mind.

Decisionsagain Sun 16-Feb-14 21:56:41

Thanks everyone. It's not exactly that important is it. I think I was feeling a bit low about everything. We usually have a fabulous holiday each year and it's the one time we all get to play and chill as a family. We will find something. Yes, stuck with August I'm afraid. Just signed up to ebay. Never been on it. Time to sell some stuff. Does it work!!!

Decisionsagain Sun 16-Feb-14 21:57:55

Thanks everyone. It's not exactly that important is it. I think I was feeling a bit low about everything. We usually have a fabulous holiday each year and it's the one time we all get to play and chill as a family. We will find something. Yes, stuck with August I'm afraid. Just signed up to ebay. Never been on it. Time to sell some stuff. Does it work!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now