Menorca off season- anyone???

(4 Posts)
diabolo Tue 18-Feb-14 11:31:26

My friends who live near Alaior tell me the weather can often be stunning in April, but of course, no guarantee of that.

April is popular with people who want to get away from the crowds and heat and especially with people who take advantage of the weather to enjoy walking holidays (difficult in high season due to the heat).

Es Castell near Mahon might fit your bill in terms of being alive, as many ex-pats live there year round, so wont be dead as most "resorts" will be. I know the Hotel Artiem Carlos III has great Trip Advisor reviews.

You'll probably have to shop at one of the big Eroski / Hiper Centro supermarkets in Mahon as shops in resorts won't be open.

Pierro's is a lovely restaurant on the harbour in Mahon which I know is open year-round. As budgie says above, Ca Na Marga in Ses Salines is also good, but may not the open.

Also, bare in mind that the beaches won't have lifeguards at that time of year.

I can't wait until DS doesn't want to come on holiday with us anymore - I'll be off hiking down gorges in April in Menorca every year. grin

Budgiegirlbob Tue 18-Feb-14 00:01:20

I have been many times to Menorca, and love it, but it is a quiet island, and a resort with a bit of 'life' might be hard to find out of season.

Resorts near to the main towns of Mahon and Cuitdadella might be ok, Cuitadella has a lovely harbour with bars and restaurants, some of which open out of season.

I would certainly hire a car, so you can explore the island if the weather isn't good ( can be cold and windy in April, although it can also be quite mild, pot luck really).

If you have a car, you can also search out restaurants that are open out of season, where the locals eat.

I like Ca Na Margas in Ses Selina's, Es Moli in Mecadel, El Gallo just out of Ferrerias, Cobblers in Alayor, several nice fish restaurants in Fornells.

But check before travelling to them, as opening hours are restricted.

Overall, if you are after a resort based holiday at Easter, and don't really want to travel round too much, I wouldn't recommend Menorca at that time of year, as much as I love the island.

Justtrying Wed 12-Feb-14 22:23:51

karen think carefully!
we went to menorca at the end of May last year, it was freezing. 3 days of rain, gales 5 days with sand blowing horizontally across the beach and jeans and fleece required all but one day. Most pools are unheated too. We were glad we had hired a car and Calan Bosch was the nicest place we visited, lovely marina.

Even at the end of May lots of places still yet to open.

Karen2222 Wed 12-Feb-14 21:33:16

Hi. We want to go to Menorca this Easter but most of the resorts don't open till May. The kids and I want to stay somewhere near a beach (we don't mind if the weather isn't great) and with a pool (in case the weather IS okay!).

Anyone got any recommendations for nice towns/places to stay that might be open/ have a bit of life to it in mid-April?

Thanks in advance!

K

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now