Summer half term - bit depressed about price of a week in Greece!

(11 Posts)
Mintyy Tue 11-Feb-14 19:37:43

Family of 4, it is coming to £2000 just for flights and apartment.

Is this right?

Onykahonie Tue 11-Feb-14 21:05:17

It's costing that for us for 2 weeks in the summer hols!
Have you tried the budget airlines and booking independently?

Mintyy Tue 11-Feb-14 21:40:53

This is independently. Apartment 70 euros per night. Flights are expensive!

AryaUnderfoot Tue 11-Feb-14 22:50:35

Sounds about right.

Tragically, you are almost a year too late to get the best bargains for flights. The schedules are published in April for the following year - so this May's flights went on sale last April. Generally, the prices rise steadily over that time.

May half term is one of the most expensive times to go away. August can be cheaper. Sometimes you can halve the price of the flights by booking one or two days' either side of the week.

Often, package tours are actually cheaper than going independent (when the flights are this expensive).

Creamycoolerwithcream Wed 12-Feb-14 09:09:11

Have you tried looking at Greek mainland or other islands or going on a website such as Travel Republic and trying 6 or 8 night durations?. I've also found the May half term to be expensive because everyone wants to fly on the Saturday or Sunday. The flights you are after probably started our about �250 each but they gradually go up in price.

Ruthiebabes Wed 12-Feb-14 09:17:43

The only way to get a cheap holiday at May half term is to book flights as soon as they are released (Easyjet usually released Oct for the following May).. or to avoid the Sat/Sun and fly on a weekday (which means taking kids out of school for a few days).

SooticaTheWitchesCat Wed 12-Feb-14 10:45:51

My parents have booked a lovely apaprtment in Kos for 35 euros a night, they boooked it through this site:

http://www.mastihari-uncovered.com/accommodation.php

we are paying 50euro per night in July here and its sooo lovley been here 3 times. The flights and apartment (both only booked last month) came to £2100 for 4 of us.

Keep looking!

Olivermoliver Wed 19-Feb-14 07:46:39

Sound about right, we are paying £1400 for 2 adults and 1 child. Paid £1800 at the same place for 2 weeks in the summer holidays last year so May half term does seem more expensive.

makemineapinot Fri 21-Feb-14 00:18:17

I priced our 2 week peak season summer holiday independently back in Oct and saved nearly £400 by booking with travel agent in January! My friend is coming too and she is paying over £1000 less than us by taking kids out of school - she lives in, and is flying from Southern England. We're in Scotland, I am a single parent, a teacher and flying from Scotland so am shafted with every hidden cost going!

makemineapinot Fri 21-Feb-14 00:21:20

Our hol cane in at £1700 for 2 weeks hb 3 star in Crete. Normally hate hb and want sc but this hotel came highly recommended and sounds fab! Don't want to do ai as want to support locals! Did European camping for years and it's so ridiculously expensive now we've found it cheaper to stay in hotels!! Miss the laid back atmosphere of a good campsite in the dun though!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now