Health and Hygiene in Turkey

(30 Posts)
thepartysover Tue 11-Feb-14 10:56:55

Turkey has been added to the list of moot destinations by the in-laws (who we're travelling with) on account that "it's dirty", meaning water and food, standards of hygiene etc. We've seen a resort that we really like the look of but want to please everyone - what are other people's experiences? Is there anything I can say to put her mind at rest or should we just look elsewhere?

SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 21-Feb-14 11:24:02

I agree, we always eat where the locals eat, they must know the best places to go.

Tap water is safe in Turkey though, it just doesn't taste very nice.

phonebox Fri 28-Feb-14 21:46:54

The airport in Dalaman STANK - probably travellers with dodgy stomachs, plus it was the height of Summer - but the town was very clean. Pavements, restaurants etc. much cleaner than London.

AryaUnderfoot Fri 28-Feb-14 21:55:59

Not to mention the fact that Dalaman airport adds a new definition to the term expensive. I think it's something like 15 quid for a happy meal. Pre-warned, we stocked up on rolls and pastries from the breakfast buffet, so we only had to buy a couple of bottles of water between us.

Bornin1984 Fri 28-Feb-14 22:02:03

We went to turkey two years ago an stayed in a cheap self catering apartment! Was immaculate! We are out every night and didn't get an upset tummy at all!! Make sure you are hydrated as it gets very hot!!

Also been to Egypt this year! And this time I was pregnant at 22 weeks! Again didn't suffer with tummy! But I did make sure constant hand gel was on hands to avoid any issues!!

If u take proper precautions you have no need for upset belly

phonebox Fri 28-Feb-14 22:12:07

Above poster is right - the heat takes it out of you and upsets tummies often more than any food/water mineral differences

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now