Health and Hygiene in Turkey

(34 Posts)
thepartysover Tue 11-Feb-14 10:56:55

Turkey has been added to the list of moot destinations by the in-laws (who we're travelling with) on account that "it's dirty", meaning water and food, standards of hygiene etc. We've seen a resort that we really like the look of but want to please everyone - what are other people's experiences? Is there anything I can say to put her mind at rest or should we just look elsewhere?

SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 21-Feb-14 11:24:02

I agree, we always eat where the locals eat, they must know the best places to go.

Tap water is safe in Turkey though, it just doesn't taste very nice.

phonebox Fri 28-Feb-14 21:46:54

The airport in Dalaman STANK - probably travellers with dodgy stomachs, plus it was the height of Summer - but the town was very clean. Pavements, restaurants etc. much cleaner than London.

AryaUnderfoot Fri 28-Feb-14 21:55:59

Not to mention the fact that Dalaman airport adds a new definition to the term expensive. I think it's something like 15 quid for a happy meal. Pre-warned, we stocked up on rolls and pastries from the breakfast buffet, so we only had to buy a couple of bottles of water between us.

Bornin1984 Fri 28-Feb-14 22:02:03

We went to turkey two years ago an stayed in a cheap self catering apartment! Was immaculate! We are out every night and didn't get an upset tummy at all!! Make sure you are hydrated as it gets very hot!!

Also been to Egypt this year! And this time I was pregnant at 22 weeks! Again didn't suffer with tummy! But I did make sure constant hand gel was on hands to avoid any issues!!

If u take proper precautions you have no need for upset belly

phonebox Fri 28-Feb-14 22:12:07

Above poster is right - the heat takes it out of you and upsets tummies often more than any food/water mineral differences

nglfi Tue 26-Aug-14 07:13:48

It's probably too late for you now but we have just finished our holiday in Sensatori Side, please DO NOT go there if you want to avoid an upset stomach. If you look at the reviews on trip advisor you will see even the ones where people have given 3/5, people still mention having been ill. Myself and my partner were both very ill with vomiting and diarrhea and it ruined the holiday. It seems to be very hit and miss in the buffet in this Sensatori, you might get lucky and avoid being ill or you might get the complete opposite. We noticed the meat was not cooked properly, it was lukewarm at best. I'll say nothing about Turkish hygiene, I'm sure Turkish people are very clean. This was our first time in Turkey and we never left the resort so I'm sure it is a particular problem with the Sensatori rather than anything about Turkey in particular.

OneLittleToddleTerror Tue 26-Aug-14 07:24:26

I agree with littlesecret that some people are just prone to travel tummy bugs. DH spent a few days with diarrhoea from eating in Japan! That has to be the cleanest country I've ever been in. We think it's from a bento we picked up at the train station. I have never had problems.

ErrolTheDragon Tue 26-Aug-14 16:30:49

We've been to Turkey 4 times now - once staying at an all-inclusive resort at Easter to do Ephesus and other archaeological sites (a lot of the best bits of 'ancient greece' are in Turkey! and 3 times at Neilson beachclubs for watersports. Absolutely no problem with health or hygiene - we didn't drink tap water but did use it for tooth cleaning. Knew about the loo bin(same as greece) - took nappy sacks, really not an issue. We probably ingested a fair bit of seawater too capsizing and falling off windsurf boards! grin DH is rather prone to ear infections but has never picked one up in Turkish pools/sea yet.

This time DH had experience of their medical facilities - he was quite ill, went to a local clinic who sent him to the local hospital for tests and treatment. This was absolutely first-rate, very well organised, good equipment, tests done quickly, very good doctors, he reckons he was quite lucky to have been ill there rather than at home, thinks the NHS would have taken a lot longer to diagnose and then treat him. Obviously you need health insurance but that applies anywhere other than major EU countries. By contrast, he had to go to a clinic in Greece once when he cracked a rib and he said that was dire - one of the reasons we switched to Turkey for watersports. Though to be fair it must depend on whether you're near a largish town.

rallytog1 Tue 26-Aug-14 19:15:13

I think you're more likely to get hygiene issues in a resort or tourist trap than you are in a 'real' part of Turkey.

As a pp said, go to local places, eat local food and you'll be fine and most probably very impressed. I feel sad that anyone would tar a whole country with a "dirty" brush - Turkey is a HUGE country, with so much to offer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now