France on a budget - your recommendations

(11 Posts)

Have had two lovely holidays in France the last couple of years in term time. This year DD has started school so we're into July or August for our holidays. Previous two trips were with Eurocamp type companies and because we travelled in June under £1000. A quick look at the Eurocamp prices and it's not going to be an option this year, we're looking at more than double.

I know if we book directly with the site for their accommodation it's often cheaper so has anyone got any recommendations for sites ideally down the West of France - from Brittany down as far as Bordeaux ish that have plenty of activities for kids, a restaurant, swimming pool, near a beach. I've also read (on mumsnet) that prices fall at the end of August so I'll probably look at the end of the summer hols.

Any advice, most welcome. grin

SilverViking Thu 06-Feb-14 11:52:41

Try venue holidays, we have been with them on several sites on France, over several years, and always found them good value. They tend not to have kids clubs though, and we get away in early July.

We also used French freedom in the past. They did have kids clubs on some sites. Although their prices did increase a couple of years ago.

Thanks Silver, I'll have a look now. Kids club isn't vital, DD is 5 and DS 2 so as long as there's a pool, beach, local stuff going on then that should be enough.

Lovage Thu 06-Feb-14 17:44:02

Not the same kind of thing as Eurocamp, but hiring a gite through Gites de France can be really cheap - cheaper than Eurocamp and equivalent and you get a proper house! There is a totally english version of their website here http://en.gites-de-france.com/ and you can refine your search to include a pool and loads of other things you might want. It doesn't get you any kids clubs and they can be very rural (i.e. takes you ages to get anywhere for site-seeing) but much the cheapest way I know to stay in France apart from proper independent camping or budget motels.

Millipedewithherfeetup Thu 06-Feb-14 17:51:48

Check out vaconsolei or yelloh holidays their prices are much much cheaper than eurocamp.

rosy71 Fri 07-Feb-14 22:24:57

Try Les Castels. Booking through them is often cheaper. Or Yelloh.

Thanks all. I'll have a look at these night. Although, i've just priced up the Portsmouth - St Malo ferry which I know is expensive at the best of times - going on for �800 return and you don't even get a gold plated cabin for that! grin

dreamingofsun Sat 08-Feb-14 19:42:29

ukcampsites.co.uk will have reviews for mobile sites in france. what about portsmouth/caen or le havre - i think they are both cheaper and you won't need a cabin as not overnight. i imagine you are looking to travel mid week as thats cheaper? le gerangoire is great site, though didn't like vendee. les deux fontaines good. carnac area is lovely

mercibucket Sat 08-Feb-14 20:04:06

matthews do a cheaper deal on ferries than that
britanny ferries do holidays on campsites that are used by eurocamp etc

cheerup Sun 09-Feb-14 08:08:47

Eurocamp do very good deals on Brittany ferries and there's no minimum stay. We have booked Portsmouth-Caen crossings and 3 stopover nights with them at the end of our gite holiday for £50 less than the cost of the crossing alone booked direct with Brittany Ferries. Its still just shy of £600 though [hmm

Not what I would call cheap compared to £150 for Eurotunnel and stopovers in tents like we have done in the past but a lot better than £1300 for flights and car hire even including petrol and tolls.

If you want a western crossing with a cabin, I would book it quick some are already completely sold out.

Thanks all. We have booked two weeks with a company called Charles Alexander who offer a 20% discount on Brittany Ferries which further reduced the cost - as did playing about with the dates. It's about 50% cheaper doing it this way rather than with Eurocamp.

I agree with cheerup, some of the cabins had sold out - the week after was a complete sell out.

Thanks for the advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now