Solva or Fishguard? Which is nicer / better?

(16 Posts)
principalitygirl Tue 04-Feb-14 22:00:45

We're heading to Pembrokeshire for 4 nights in March. Have found v nice self catering options in both Fishguard and Solva but wondering which is best location? They're at opposite ends of St Brides Bay it seems. We have a car and it'll be me, DH and 18 mth old.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Tue 04-Feb-14 23:13:23

I'd go for Solva. Personally. I've only driven through it on the way to Fishguard but it struck me as very sweet and lovely. Fishguard is just a small town. imho.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Tue 04-Feb-14 23:26:24

Solva. Great for crabbing off the harbour!

VodIsGod Tue 04-Feb-14 23:29:13

Solva! It's lovely and close to St David's which is also beautiful.

Newsofaarrived Tue 04-Feb-14 23:44:52

Solva as much more tourist orientated whilst lower Fishguard is lovely, Upper Fishguard is the shopping town.

If you're looking for a real beach location then white sands at St David's is beautiful - surfing, sandcastles, Pembrokeshire Coastal path walks.

Abercastle is get away from it all old fishing village - 35 years ago we used to sail out from here catching mackerel on the way for dinner.

Porthgain is fascinating - old harbour, pub and restaurant (and walk from here along the Cliff path to Abereiddy beach and the Blue Lagoon.

Pop into Melin Tregwynt for beautiful woollen goods and www.wendybrandon.co.uk for yummy preserves.

JacqueslePeacock Tue 04-Feb-14 23:46:04

Crikey, I thought this was a baby names thread! Thank goodness for that.

EATmum Tue 04-Feb-14 23:58:38

Definitely Solva. Climb the Gribbin, then have a beer at the Harbour Inn. Perfect day.

principalitygirl Wed 05-Feb-14 08:26:11

Thanks all! Clear consensus then. FX the Solva one is still available!!

Jacques - you made me laugh into my breakfast there!! smile If it were a baby name thread, Solva would still win I reckon wink

Morgause Wed 05-Feb-14 08:28:47

Certainly Solva.

Morgause Wed 05-Feb-14 08:29:24

But St David's is nicer than both.

TheFutureSupremeRulersMum Wed 05-Feb-14 08:42:52

Solva has lovely restaurants.

Morgause Wed 05-Feb-14 08:44:16

The one by the car park was awful when we looked in, like a school canteen. Has it got any better?

EATmum Wed 05-Feb-14 18:56:29

Think the Harbour inn is good for beer and bar snacks, less so for good food. Good food at the Cambrian. Or Cwtch in St David's.

Justtrying Wed 12-Feb-14 10:33:44

Got to be solva, all my childhood holidays, (all be it 30 years ago) were spent between solva and st David's.
Visited Porthgain for a few days about 5 years ago. Solva lovely village with harbour great for crabbing and boat trips to catch mackerel or watch the seals. St David's beautiful, the UKs smallest city. Porthgain lovely harbour, great food at a lovely fish restaurant and The sloop inn is a fabulous locals pub. Fantastic cliff top walks too. For beaches, white sands is miles of pale golden sand, abiriddy pebbles but blue lagoon is a short walk, little haven is a little way away but lovely too. Fishguard was just somewhere we drove through on route that the Irish ferry went from.

Hope this helps, must think about taking dd and teaching her how to catch crabs in rock pools.

principalitygirl Wed 12-Feb-14 10:54:24

Thanks all! We've had to
postpone our trip for now but will definitely head to Solva in the Spring.

dreamingofsun Wed 12-Feb-14 11:45:29

cwtch was full of people from london when we went there with posh sounding children eating expensive food. there was a pub we went to that was much better. i think it was the bishops inn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now