Iceland? At Easter?Anyone been?

(18 Posts)
Ubik1 Tue 04-Feb-14 13:52:04

Am forty at Easter.

Christ

I need to do something radical to ease the pain. I have always wanted to visit Iceland. Was thinking 3 nights, geysers, maybe horse riding? Has anyone been? Any recommendations?

whatsagoodusername Tue 04-Feb-14 14:02:02

We went at New Year. Saw geysers, a big waterfall, the Blue Lagoon and the Northern Lights. It was very dark! Most of our geyser/waterfall trip was cut short because of bad weather and we saw the geysers in near-dark.

But we enjoyed ourselves and presumably Easter will be brighter! I'd like to go again.

They were very child friendly as well!

Ifcatshadthumbs Tue 04-Feb-14 14:14:26

I loved it would happily go again. It is quite expensive but we had some fantastic meals (try the lamb)

We did a 4x4 tour which was great. Have a look up of the golden circle which takes in the main sights. We waited til we got there to book our tours. Tourist information were incredibly helpful and booked everything for us.

Blue lagoon thermal spa was good too. We went on the last day, the bus pick us and our luggage up from the hotel, dropped us at the blue lagoon then picked us up and took us to the airport, they kept our luggage for us. Was a really nice way to finish the holiday.

Ubik1 Tue 04-Feb-14 14:22:41

Do you get the Northern Lights at Easter time? We probably can't afford to take the three children with us (but they are getting a package to Spain and I will be enduring multiple camping trips)

Do most people book excursions? The Blue Lagoon on the last day is a really good tip. IS it expensive to eat out?

whatsagoodusername Tue 04-Feb-14 15:04:29

Northern lights should be visible as long as it gets dark enough - not sure how late in the year that is!

We were pleasantly surprised by the costs of food, but we had been regaled with stories of how expensive it was! Equally, we didn't eat anywhere particularly "nice" (two toddlers). We found it compared reasonably with London, where we live, so not bad.

Ifcatshadthumbs Tue 04-Feb-14 18:47:14

I think it's fairly drivable if you want to take yourself around by car. I enjoyed the 4x4 tour their was just DH and I and another couple. The guide was really knowledgable and interesting. We went places with him that we probably couldn't have driven to, like to the top of a glacier etc. it was expensive though about £200 each (but we were out for nearly 10 hours)

Eating out is very expensive as is alcohol. Oddly the flight and hotel were very reasonable, flew with Iceland air, booked through expedia. Reykjavik is a lovely place to spend some time wandering round (you don't need a whole day it's quite small) has a good museum and a cathedral you can climb to the top of for some good views.

DisappointedHorse Tue 04-Feb-14 19:02:00

We went in April a few years ago, it was warmer there than it was here. I love Iceland, the people are great and the landscape incredible.

We stayed in Reykjavik and found there was plenty to do. There were trips out to see Glaciers, Geysers, waterfalls, whale watching.

We did the Blue Lagoon as soon as we left the airport then caught the bus to Reykjavik. It was great, the day we had the worst weather (it was so wild we were nearly turned back to Stornoway) and I think I preferred it that way! Hot water with the wind and fog howling across the lava was fab. It's a must do.

In April we didn't see the Northern Lights, it didn't actually get dark until after 11pm.

Eating out is expensive but there are cheaper options. Don't bother trying to drink wine, it's outrageously expensive. Beer isn't bad value though. We found a really good burger place - Hamborgarabulla I think. Caruso was good value and they do fabulous hotdogs by the harbour.

Have a great time, I'm jealous.

ToddleWaddle Tue 04-Feb-14 19:08:36

We have been at beginning on May. Weather was pretty awful with wind and cold rain.
Take very warm clothes just incase.
Hired a car. Easy to get about. Good and drink was expensive when we went but that was a while ago.
Really enjoyed. Fab country.

Ubik1 Tue 04-Feb-14 19:54:01

Oh am really excited now

We live in Scotland so are used to wild weather. The idea of sitting in a hot pool with the wind howling around sounds like just the ticket to chase away those middle aged blues

Iceland is bloody marvellous. Been twice. I'd now only go to NY if stopping over there too. Blue lagoon great. Riding and glacier/4x4 adventure. Booked at concierge. Hotels great. Fab bars and restaurants. It's pricey, like London. They also eat late so have an early tea of a sandwich, and eat late say 9. Then go out for cocktails. Everyone is out til late. I was surprised how mixed age it was all night.

I loved it. It's a beautiful beautiful place.

mumbaisapphirebluespruce Tue 04-Feb-14 20:57:35

Fun place. Agree with everything others have said re: golden circle, blue lagoon etc. All good and worth the visit. We stayed in a self catering apartment which I have linked to below. It was lovely, and great for just a couple. Food/drink is expensive, but we found that self catering meant we could have breakfast at home to cut the cost. The other great tip I was given, and I subsequently give to anyone else, is buy booze at Reykjavik airport on arrival. Not one single self respecting Icelander passes through that airport without buying a slab of beer or several bottles of wine. It's a huge supermarket like store. It definitely helps cut the cost!

http://www.booking.com/hotel/is/apartment-k.html?aid=330843;lang=en

mimolette Tue 04-Feb-14 21:07:29

Ooh, lots of good tips on here. We are thinking of going in the summer with a toddler. Like you, am also very sold on the idea of the blue lagoon.
Do you mind if I hijack to ask whatsagoodusername for any particular advice on things to do with kids/places to stay?

Ubik1 Tue 04-Feb-14 21:26:28

No probs - hi-jack away!

Really good information, particularly the airport booze

lljkk Netherlands Thu 06-Feb-14 08:07:59

Another Iceland lover here but nothing specific to add. Happy Travels!

whatsagoodusername Thu 06-Feb-14 11:55:43

Mimolette - we didn't do any kid-specific things, really. We did the Golden Circle coach tour, which was quite a long time on a bus for them, so if you're able to hire a car and go yourselves, that would be more enjoyable.

We were there three nights and ate in the hotel two nights, the third we found a local pub/bar that served food. So we didn't really experience Icelandic food, but it was easier. We wandered around Reykjavik for our second day.

They loved the Blue Lagoon, which was great especially as DS2 isn't very keen on water.

Everyone was very friendly with the kids, and kids were free everywhere. I got the impression that of course children were welcome everwhere, why wouldn't they be? Which was a nice change from some places we have been!

mimolette Sun 09-Feb-14 08:54:48

Thank you!

homebythesea Wed 12-Feb-14 12:50:26

Apart from all the usual stuff which others have mentioned we really enjoyed the public outdoor swimming pools which are all like baths - a chilly trot from the changing room but fantastic in the water and there are various "pots" around the main pool to wallow in even hotter water. Some have slides for the kids. Costs pennies (relatively) and a great way to end a day's sight seeing. Can recommend Hotel Borg - old style glamour. We went in May half term and it didn't get dark till past 11 and night was only about 3 hours!

Megrim Wed 19-Feb-14 12:51:00

I did a camping trip a few years ago and it was absolutely fab. Watch out for the hot bathing springs - the Lycra in my swimsuit disintegrated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now