Has anyone got any recommendations for an Easter trip to Belgium, Germany, Vienna?

(10 Posts)
MyBoysHaveDogsNames Wed 29-Jan-14 23:53:38

That's about it really!

We have two boys, aged 5 and 8 and fancy a road trip. DH fancies Bruges and Stuttgart (Porsche museum!). I fancy a few days in the Rhine and some time in the Black Forest.

Has anyone got any other recommendations of places to visit?

Thank you

PortofinoRevisited Thu 30-Jan-14 09:43:48

Boppard (chair lift/boat trips) and Heidelberg (nice castle) are lovely. Rudesheim? Bernkastel-Kues on the Moselle and Trier...? Monschau near the Belgian border is very pretty. Belgian Ardennes has all sorts of animal parks and caves eg Hans Sur Lesse. How long are you planning to travel for? How many stop offs?

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sun 02-Feb-14 17:42:06

What about after Bruges going to the Nurburgring in the Eifel? Then a visit to the Chocolate museum in Cologne (catch the chocolate train Schokoexpress or something like that in front of the cathedral) seeing as it's Easter. Phantasialand is in Brühl close to Bonn.

Bit down from Bonn is the Drachenfels in the Siebengebirge (group of hills on the Rhine) which has a little train going up it and it used to have a cafe at the top, not sure if still there. The village at the bottom is Königswinter which has an Aquarium seaworld type place. It's close to the Konrad Ardenauer house as well (first PM after the war) and you can catch a boat from Königswinter down the river - look out for the Lorelei where the Mosel and Rhine meet. Cochem I think has a fair bit going on too. Haven't done the Black Forest so can't help with that.

Word of caution though - we went last Easter the last few days of March and it snowed so we had to have Winter tyres.

PortofinoRevisited Sun 02-Feb-14 20:36:51

Oh yes! Forgot about the winter tyres! DH has a company car so they get fitted automatically come October or so. We went to the Moselle one Easter and had a lot of snow.

MyBoysHaveDogsNames Mon 03-Feb-14 18:43:00

Thank you for your suggestions. I hadn't considered the weather being that cold so that's useful to know.

I will check out all your recommendations. We are planning 10 - 14 days and I need to plan the trip so there aren't too many long drives. We will probably spend two nights in most places, maybe a bit longer in the Rhine.

Thanks again.

PortofinoRevisited Tue 04-Feb-14 09:09:39

We stayed here once in Oberwesel. Very good food, and they let you run amok in the wine cellar grin

Neney1 Sun 09-Feb-14 12:24:13

Ooh, watching this with interest!

We are off for a month with DS6 in July/Aug. Hopefully planning: Bruges- Brussels - cologne- rhine- nurburgring -Nuremberg -Munich -Austria (lake constance) - Black Forest - Paris then Normandy to finish off / Recover!

WallyBantersJunkBox Mon 10-Feb-14 18:18:36

If you are visiting Lake Constance and like open air culture it might be worth looking at Bregenz? We love the open air performances on the lake stage. Last year & this year it's the Magic Flute.

The stage was made famous in "Quantum of Solace"

And of course you should plan in the Schwannstein castles.

WallyBantersJunkBox Mon 10-Feb-14 18:19:09

Sorry that was to Neney... smile

SoldeInvierno Mon 10-Feb-14 19:06:45

The children would love Europa Park, near Freiburg. Freiburg itself is beautiful. you can take the tram out to Schauinsland and then the cable car up the mountain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now