Hull-Zeebrugge ferries - anyone used them?

(13 Posts)
PetiteRaleuse Fri 31-Jan-14 17:07:09

Eurotunnel was excellent but the drive was too much for the dog and DC. This would be in summer so not to worried about doggie heating. Amsterdam / Newcastle would tag on an hour/90 min each way. Am going to the NW. Thanks for the tips.

MmeLindor Fri 31-Jan-14 16:14:25

Phone and check to be sure - last time I spoke to them, the dog kennels were on the deck. Outside. I asked several times to make sure, cause I couldn't believe it.

We normally take the Amsterdam to Newcastle ferry. Not sure how far north you are going, but generally not more expensive that the Hull ferry and v good.

DFDS Seaways - and the dog kennel is inside, next to the car deck. The noise of the engines are so loud down there, that you wouldn't hear the dog. We normally go for the Commodore Class as the cabins are higher up in the ship, and breakfast is included. Cheaper cabins are ok but I don't like being down at the bottom of the ship.

Funnily enough, we are talking of doing Eurotunnel this time.

talktotheface Fri 31-Jan-14 16:04:32

I'm pretty sure the kennels are on the car deck (i.e. downstairs from the cabins), I didn't even know they existed until we parked in front of them last time.. Either way the ferries are pretty huge and there's no way of hearing dogs above the noise of the boat.
Last year's crossing was with 2dc's 5 and 2. 5yo was fine on top bunk (there are side rails) and 2 yo slept in a bottom bunk with me.
As for noisy cabins - last year we were quite near the bar and couldn't hear any noise (however could hear next doors snoring quite clearly)..

PetiteRaleuse Thu 30-Jan-14 21:42:32

Checking petrol and hotel costs it works out cheaper for me. Not keen on sleeping next to the kennels though. Would hate to hear my dog barking. He's not a barker though and I would tranq him up.

Pootles2010 Thu 30-Jan-14 16:32:22

We're looking at doing it, as we're close-ish to Hull. Price put us off before, but DP has knackered his back so 7 hr drive is not great option!

I was wondering about cabins - it says club cabins are in quiet part of ship, I'm worried about being put next to bar, and now worried about being next to kennels too!

We have done it several times from Hull to Rotterdam. DC were about 6 and 8. The bunks are rather high, definitely no good for toddlers! You would have to put the toddlers in the lower bunks and climb up top yourself I think.
Drive off and on to Dutch motorways, great.

PetiteRaleuse Thu 30-Jan-14 10:56:31

Thank you. It's not too long a drive the next day, especially compared with the eurotunnel. I think it will be easier for the children.

talktotheface Thu 30-Jan-14 08:07:38

Yes cabins are fine, two sets of bunk beds and a small en suite. Much better than the student days of reclining seats by the bar! Agree with Thonan it's great to set off refreshed early morning on the other side - especially if you've a long drive ahead..

PetiteRaleuse Wed 29-Jan-14 22:32:24

Thank you. Am worried about the dog being on his own overnight but I guess he can be tranquilised slightly with a big bowl of water.

Are the cheapest cabins ok with 2 adults and 2 toddlers? You only need sleep in them right?

thonah Wed 29-Jan-14 22:23:26

We use it every year. It's great. Get on at tea time, have a good dinner ( the buffet is very good value and cheaper if you book in advance), then we have a relaxing evening and a good night's sleep......except for the time we ended up near the dog kennels! Arrive in Belgium 9 ish the next morning. So much better than the M25.

talktotheface Wed 29-Jan-14 22:16:14

I have used Hull - Zeebrugge and Hull - Rotterdam several times over the years - last year with 2 kids. We live a 2 hour drive from Hull so suits much better than the drive to the south coast.. The ferry is great and cabins are small but comfy. Would definitely recommend, never taken a dog but have seen the kennels in the car area. They look fine to me!

PetiteRaleuse Wed 29-Jan-14 21:15:59

Bump?

PetiteRaleuse Wed 29-Jan-14 12:13:55

Just that really. Has anyone used the overnight ferries from the north of England to Belgium or Holland? Normally we drive to Calais and use the Eurotunnel but doing the ferry would save 400km of petrol each way and avoid using the M25, stopping at a hotel overnight etc.

Second question. Anyone ever done it with a dog?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now