Rome in August with DCs. Any tips, ideas, cheap/nice hotel. All ideas welcome.

(11 Posts)
Runningtrainers Mon 27-Jan-14 19:51:08

We are hoping to go at the end of August for a week. We have 2 primary aged DC and looking for cheap/nice hotels that are central with AC due to the weather.

What are a must see and what activities would be ideal for the DCs?

addictedtosugar Tue 28-Jan-14 14:17:24

Marking for ideas. Were going to eurocamp just outside Rome in Aug, and any ideas for "Must see" day trip to Rome would be appreciated - tho think our kids are younger than yours.

kerloch Wed 29-Jan-14 16:34:38

Have you thought of a self catering apartment? Often work out much better for families?

JennyPiccolo Wed 29-Jan-14 16:50:52

We stay at hotel Rosetta on via Cavour. It's a lovely, quite basic, family run hotel next to the colosseum. Rome has seriously some of the worst hotels I've ever been, so do go somewhere that comes with good reviews. Have a lovely time, it's an amazing place to visit.

noblegiraffe Wed 29-Jan-14 16:54:40

It is absolutely boiling in August!

Top tip (don't know about kids) is that throughout the centre there are pipes with lovely cold free drinking water, so bring a bottle and fill it up rather than pay extortionate street prices. The pipes also have a hole near the end. If you put your finger on the end of the pipe, it forces the water up through the hole and you can use it as a drinking fountain!

addictedtosugar Wed 29-Jan-14 20:15:40

Noble - will it be any better out of the city, nearer the coast?
My fear is the heat.....

notnowImreading Wed 29-Jan-14 20:32:23

I definitely recommend a day out at Ostia Antica. It's easy to get to on the Metro and it's an amazingly complete Roman town. Sometimes it's nice to get out of the city.

rookiemater Fri 31-Jan-14 22:21:15

We stayed in a great apartment - can't find the details as my friend booked it. Not sure if it has a/c but shutters and thick walls so hopefully would be ok in summer, great location just off a great tourist square, whose name I can't remember . Do you want me to find the details?

Runningtrainers Mon 03-Feb-14 18:16:06

Thank you all. Very grateful. That would be great rookie

rookiemater Mon 03-Feb-14 19:44:44

Here you go:
www.flipkey.com/rome-condo-rentals/p275412/?utm_source=flipkey&utm_medium=email&utm_term=propertyname&utm_campaign=rbo_inquiry_confirm.

It says 3 bedrooms but actually it is 2 bed with a cubby bed on top of the second bedroom.

Loads of room, well equipped kitchen including cling film and foil,free wifi and not expensive. Lovely location, minutes away from the Piazza Nevona (sp?) with lots of inexpensive restaurants within a couple of minutes walk. Reasonably quiet as not on the main road.

Runningtrainers Mon 17-Feb-14 21:33:32

Thank you rookie. That looks lovely and affordable too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now