Pompeii, cheap

(7 Posts)
musicposy Sat 25-Jan-14 20:30:10

I would like to take DD2 who is 14 to Pompeii somewhen this winter/ spring as she is doing a classical civilisation GCSE this year and we think it would be useful. Some of her friends are going in a couple of weeks but we missed out on going with them for various reasons. She's home ed so it can be in term time with no worries (the home ed being why we do a lot of educational trips).

It would be just me and her. It needs to be cheap. We can slum it as much as is needed but I suspect Youth Hostels may not take her at under 16. I was hoping for cheap flights but she has never flown and would prefer the coach - she doesn't like the idea of flying. Train would be fine too. I used to hitch in my wilder younger days but would not do that with a 14 year old. I've done Europe by coach and car before (as has she) so she does have some idea of what a long way it is! I don't want to drive all that way myself; before I've had DH to take turns.

We've tended to holiday in the UK in recent years so I'm out of touch with getting holidays abroad. Added to that, before we had the girls I was very much a "fly to a place and worry about accommodation when you get there" kind of person. That's OK when you're 20 and don't mind sleeping on a beach! However, sadly I have very little more disposable income now than I did then.

Any advice would be much appreciated. smile

Creamycoolerwithcream Sun 26-Jan-14 11:15:24

Could you try the search engine on mumsnet for Pompeii? I remember a thread about a lady, I think she had a disability if I remember correctly who and went to this area with her family and got a really good deal on accommodation and sightseeing etc. I took my DSs to Pompeii and it really is worth a visit. I hope you can sort something out.

AliceAirhead Sun 26-Jan-14 11:35:03

We did Rome, Pompeii and Almalfi coast with our 2 DCs (now 12 and 14) 3 years ago. We stayed in caravan on campsite near Rome (Il Pini I think) - v cheap and easy daily access to Rome. Caught the train from Rome down to Sorrento and stayed in La Meridiana, a lovely, very reasonably priced hotel there. Short (20 min) train ride from there to Pompeii. I'd definitely recommend staying somewhere like Sorrento (good launch pad for Almalfi coast) rather than trying to stay right next to Pompeii or Herculaneum. I envy you - would love to go there again!

badasahatter Tue 11-Feb-14 17:09:18

We've been looking for dd who wants to study classics, ancient history and Latin, so is obsessed by the thought of Pompeii, and I can't believe quite how cheap it's coming out. We've found a b&b in Sorrento for £465 each for half term in October for a week. I know it's not dirt, dirt cheap, but I was expecting it to be insanely expensive. And I do wonder if going out of school holidays would bring the price down substantially?

We can't afford to go this year, but I thought I'd check it out to see how it priced up in case we can afford to go next year.

Of course, looking is very dangerous. I'm now reconsidering my 50th birthday plan to go to Florida and am looking at Sorrento instead. Just got to clear it with my fashion obsessed teen. I'll let her choose...then she won't be able to moan about the lack of clothes she has! I suspect it would be much cheaper to buy her a few A&F/Hollister things in the UK and go to Sorrento, but lets wait and see.

SoldeInvierno Fri 21-Feb-14 21:12:25

I would fly easyjet to Naples and catch the local train to Pompei. If I remmember correctly, it tskes less than an hour. Driving all the way to Naples sounds mad to me, not to mention very expensive, taking into account that you will need several overnight stops

WelshWereRabbit Tue 25-Feb-14 13:54:10

I went to Pompeii and Herculaneum when I was pregnant with DS1. We did Ryanair flights to Naples, then got a budget hire car and a lovely little holiday appartment in the hills near Sorrento through this company:

http://www.summerinitaly.com/

As well as Pompeii & Herculaneum, we explored the beautiful Amalfi coast, took a day trip to Capri and got to eat in some fantastic restaurants.

It was our last proper holiday pre-kids - now it's all about kids club, rather than culture! I hope to go back one day, it was wonderful.

Hope you have a great time, however you do it.

fussychica Mon 03-Mar-14 16:40:17

DS has just been to Rome and included a trip to Pompeii - train trip down was awful and spoilt their day so would def recommend you stay closer to the site.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now