Venice- recommendations?

(7 Posts)
NCISaddict Thu 23-Jan-14 13:09:23

We're off to Venice the week after next, staying at www.casagredohotel.com/ Does anyone have any good ideas for nice but not super expensive places to eat? We'll be meeting our student son there so don't need romantic/posh places, just good quality and friendly.
We've got the hotel on points so not sure if we can run to eating in the hotel but would prefer to experience a bit of 'real' Venice anyway.

WallyBantersJunkBox Sat 25-Jan-14 01:09:18

www.theguardian.com/travel/2012/aug/29/venice-that-tourists-miss-cannaregio

NCIS i am going in March and was looking at the Guardian travel section and liked their suggestions. Have a read and see if it floats your boat.

When you come back can you repost about the hotel? I am really struggling to find something that really grabs me. We usually go down the apartment route but everything I look at in Venice is either off on the Lido or a bit grubby. And the hotels look either super expensive or a bit dodgy B&B.

Would love to hear how your place was....I'm going round in circles here!

NCISaddict Sat 25-Jan-14 14:00:18

Will report back on the hotel, it was recommended by the Avios staff and the last one they rated was really good so fingers crossed.
That link looks really good, will certainly be trying some of those bars and restaurants. Can't wait.

ladyrainy Sat 25-Jan-14 14:13:18

we ate in cannaregio when we went. It wasn't as expensive as I'd expected it to be at all. For lunch you could eat chicchetti which is very reasonable.

The gelato from Grom is amazing. There is one on strada nova. envy

WallyBantersJunkBox Sat 25-Jan-14 14:17:49

Enjoy your trip! wine

Mouldypineapple Sat 25-Jan-14 14:22:14

Take your wellies! We went in October and St Marks square was flooded - like a foot or more of water in some places!
No recommendations for food sorry, we didn't eat in the centre but a lot of places did look very expensive.
Have fun..

NCISaddict Sat 08-Feb-14 08:52:49

We had a lovely time in Venice, found some really nice places to eat and got lost lots! Didn't need our wellies, next time I would buy those temporary wellies rather than having to take a huge case. The water buses were great, I would recommend buying a ticket covering your length of stay, really convenient. Getting the water bus from the airport was lovely, more expensive than the bus but much more pleasant.

Wally the hotel was lovely although if you go there make sure you get breakfast included,saw the prices on the menu and they were jaw droppingly expensive seven euros for an orange juice. www.casagredohotel.com/

Does anyone know why some of the tourists wear masks (not the carnival type ones) it's not as if the smell was bad at this time of year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now