Flying to Lisbon - how would you spend 2 weeks in the area?

(21 Posts)
knickernicker Fri 17-Jan-14 17:36:08

We would like to stay in Lisbon itself for a couple of days. I'd like to visit Sintra. Should we also stay in Cascais or Setubal or Sesimbra? We'd like a pool if poss and we like good food and wine. Anyone have any places they love and would recommend? Thanks

BirdyBedtime Fri 17-Jan-14 17:45:46

Aaah I am so jealous. We've spent our last few hols on the Silver Coast (an hour north of Lisbon) or in Lisbon itself. To make the most I'd say at least 3 full days in Lisbon itself as going out to the Monastery takes a full day. Sintra has 2 big palaces so again 2 days. Mafra is worth a visit. We've never done Cascais or Setubal. The food and wine are great - seafood galore.

Mintyy Fri 17-Jan-14 17:48:37

I think Lisbon is worth at least 4 days. Amazing, beautiful city (sadly covered in grafitti).

I preferred Estoril to Cascais.

tugamommy Mon 20-Jan-14 14:58:56

No to Setúbal , but Sesimbra and Cascais are nicei. Depends on what you want to do really. Seaside? Historic monuments?
As for food, don't be afraid to try small typical restaurants (called tascas). They usually have really good cheap food.
Bairro Alto is a great place to eat (evejing better as many restaurants in this area are closed at lunch time). We ate in an amazing one when we were there last time. I'll see ic i can find it for you.

tugamommy Mon 20-Jan-14 15:02:14
tugamommy Mon 20-Jan-14 15:09:38

Very good recommendations here

And just remembered that Óbidos is a great town for a day trip - absolutely stunning. Wild cherry liqueur served On chocolate cups is a must!

magentastardust Mon 20-Jan-14 15:36:27

Ooh Knickernicker-I have just the spend the last wee while searching for old Lisbon/Cascais/Silvercoast threads.

We are considering going here for 2 weeks in July -flights are very reasonable and the area sounds nice.

Where are you thinking of staying -The Bom Sucesso villas look amazing but I am not sure if there is still a lot of building work going on as it is all pretty new?

joydivisionovengloves Mon 20-Jan-14 15:55:27

Cascais is nice but you may find it cheaper to stay in Estoril. You can walk between the two easily.

magentastardust Mon 20-Jan-14 16:06:17

How Windy is that coast? I know a lot of the beaches are mainly used as surfing beaches but is it pleasant and warm enough for day trips and walking around of an evening?
Thanks

Best1sWest Wed 22-Jan-14 20:00:23

We've done this a few times and stayed in Cascais as our base. Train to Lisbon is only 30 minutes by train. Sintra is worth a full day trip. I have found that Cascais hotels have become more expensive and hotel location is quite important as some of them can cube quite a walk from the centre of town. We stayed in the Vila gale hotel a couple of times which was a great location.

If you do go to Cascais there is a great little restaurant, not much more than a shack selling fresh fish on the creek just opposite the light house. Great memories of sitting there watching the sun go down with a plate of sardines and a carafe of vinho tinto.

Great place for a holiday.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Wed 29-Jan-14 22:24:07

Bumping for more.

I'm wondering how windy the coast might be in July. And how wrapped up we'll need to be in the evenings!

Anyone camped at Guincho?

magentastardust Thu 30-Jan-14 10:54:08

Me too MarymotherofCheeses.. It will be July we are looking to go too-looks like there are lots of nice areas to visit but just wary of the weather. From what I can google temps look fine but I can't seem to find out to much about the wind!

Best1sWest Tue 04-Feb-14 17:38:46

I've visited Guincho but not camped. It reminded me very much of Llangennith in the Gower if you have ever been there. It was a very windy day though and we got a proper sandblasting. It was August. We've been 3 times in July/August and had a mixture of weather. Hot, but definitely a few degrees cooler than the Algarve at the same time of year. We've had rain too but just a day or too. There's definitely breeze but it's a welcome breeze. personally I much prefer the climate around Lisbon to the Algarve.

Best1sWest Tue 04-Feb-14 17:39:30

Cardigan or light sweater at night should be fine by the way.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Tue 04-Feb-14 22:56:44

Llangennith in the Gower

Oh bugger, guess where I live near grin [home from home]

That's helpful to know though, thank you.

LCHammer Wed 05-Feb-14 16:31:05

Just marking place to read again as its on our short list for this summer, late July.

Bonsoir Wed 05-Feb-14 16:32:59

Estoril is lovely - we have stayed at the Palacio, which is kind of faded grandeur.

Best1sWest Wed 05-Feb-14 20:16:22

It was just the feel of the place, somehow Mary. And the sandblasting and freezing sea grin. I must be quite near you.

Theonlyoneiknow Fri 07-Feb-14 15:12:04

Has anyone stayed on the eurocamp resorts near lisbon? Do you definitely need a car? DP is à keen surfer and wants to head to that coast either in may, june or October. Have two toddlers

MaryMotherOfCheeses Fri 07-Feb-14 17:37:00

You mean the Guincho campsite? We're going, but booking direct. Eurocamp are far too expensive.

Good reviews on Tripadvisor and yes, we're going to hire a car so we can go to Sintra and other places. There's a train from Cascais to Lisbon (35mins?) but I don't know if there's a bus to the trainstation.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Fri 07-Feb-14 17:40:56

Ah, just looked again and apparently there is a bus stop outside the campsite and someone else posted that a taxi to Cascais is about 7 euros.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now