Travelling to Egypt with a 19th Month Old - Help Please

(22 Posts)
BooPants2440 Wed 15-Jan-14 15:39:02

Hello,

Firstly apologies for putting this thread on this part but couldn't find a travel related one.

Anyway I was hoping to find other parents that have taken there child to Egypt or similar.

We have decided to go 5* to Hurghada, Egypt (never been to Egypt) and my husband researched the hotel it has fantastic reviews for cleanliness etc and all say that it is immaculately clean and that the hotel provides hand sanitizer everywhere.

Adding to this I am taking my own sanitizer for me & my hubby and hand sanitizing wipes for my then to be 19th month old. Plus we are all having the appropriate vaccinations and I'm taking Dettol wipes for our room, sterilizing tablets for my sons dishes, bottles, cups etc. And I know all the usual precautions such as no Ice cubes, no salad etc and only bottled water.

But I was hoping to have some advice from mums that have been, anything I've missed??

Many thanks in advance!

X

BooPants2440 Wed 15-Jan-14 15:40:15

Sorry I should also add that we are not leaving the complex at all. It's quite big so we have no reason to. And I'm taking most of my own food for the baby.

BooPants2440 Thu 16-Jan-14 08:06:58

Anyone?

springlamb Thu 16-Jan-14 08:15:08

When are you going? Not August I hope! You sound like you are taking sensible precautions. There will also be plenty of cooked veg available, sealed breakfast cereals etc, I don't think food will be a problem.
Spend five minutes on arrival doing your own risk assessment in your room and around the pool areas and looking for things that might present a risk so you can keep them in mind.
What resort are you going to? My favourite is in Hurghada and have never had so much as a ducky tummy.

ChazzerChaser Thu 16-Jan-14 08:15:31

Missed in what way? I'm not sure what you're asking. You seen very focused on cleanliness but haven't covered much on things like keeping them happy on the flight, dealing with the heat etc. Do you mean 'what else do I need to think about when taking a toddler on such a holiday' or 'what more do I need to do with regard to cleanliness'. With regard to the latter you've gone way beyond anything I'd do so I don't think you've missed much there.

springlamb Thu 16-Jan-14 08:21:00

I

springlamb Thu 16-Jan-14 08:21:09

I

springlamb Thu 16-Jan-14 08:28:23

Sorry, this tablet!!!
I do think you may be worrying about the germies too much. Please don't spend the whole holiday chasing around with dettol wipes!
I hope that when you arrive you look around and relax a bit.
If it's your first time then stick close to the travel rep through the airport - at the visa stage you will get lots of agents trying to encourage you to get your visa at their desk. Whilst more experienced visitors take advantage of these slightly cheaper deals, it can be a bit confusing for first timers.
It will be fine. The resort will be full of toddlers and children having a marvellous time in swimsuits, not biohazard suits!

BooPants2440 Thu 16-Jan-14 15:05:18

Springlamb - your last post made me laugh 'chasing round with dettol wipes' yep sounds like me. I'm going to the Jaz Aquamarine in Hurghada, you been?? Never done Egypt at all, and was only worried about the germs as in Hep A & Thypoid etc.

I know to look out for the usual concerns, slippy pool, pool itself etc.

You've defo put me at ease a bit and I'm going to relax and stop focusing on germs. TBH it was the frigging travel Nurse @ my GP surgery who freaked me out about taking our son. I nearly went home to my hubby for a divorce as of course it's all his fault and not mine grin.

Chazzer - sorry I meant just the cleanliness side etc, we've taken our monster away abroad a few times before. Flights not been too bad to date but I'm open to suggestions. My boy loves watching TV so we bought him a portable DVD player for the flight, that along with some hand clapping songs & food seems to keep him most of the time entertained.

Although I don't know about you guy's but I'm sure glad when we touch down & managed to avoid a screaming tantrum frenzy hehe x

BooPants2440 Thu 16-Jan-14 15:07:09

Uh uh Springlamb - VISA??? You've lost me. We booked with First Choice AI and there's nothing on our paperwork etc, do they sort it for us?? X

BooPants2440 Thu 16-Jan-14 15:09:33

Uh uh Springlamb - VISA??? You've lost me. We booked with First Choice AI and there's nothing on our paperwork etc, do they sort it for us?? X

BooPants2440 Thu 16-Jan-14 15:10:14

Starting to feel excited now - 9 weeks tomorrow and counting ladies smile x

Kendodd Thu 16-Jan-14 15:12:27

I don't want to rain on your parade but, (sorry I'm going to) there's a lot of political unrest in Egypt atm although even if it erupted into all out civil war you would still most likely be sheltered from it in the resort.

I had food poisoning both times I've been to Egypt and was hospitalised for it there once. Although I still wouldn't panic too much if I were you. I'd just make sure you have good insurance that also covers you should you need to cancel due to civil unrest.

Kendodd Thu 16-Jan-14 15:14:07

Oh, and do try to make it outside the resort, Egypt is an amazing country, don't miss out on seeing a little of it.

springlamb Thu 16-Jan-14 17:38:55

Yes Boo when you get off the plane FC will accompany you through the visa process, don't fret just follow!
My fave resort is Fort Arabescue, about 30 mins south from the airport at Makadi Bay, cos we like to be able to snorkel direct from the beach.
Yes, Egypt is problematic politically but the Red Sea resorts are hundreds of miles from Cairo and for much of Egypt life quietly goes on. Tourism is incredibly important in Hurghada, to my knowledge in the last 3 years there has been only one political demonstration in the town and no problems were caused for tourists.
Many of the excursions will be too much for a 19 month old (out into the desert etc) but do try to take him on a glass bottom boat, one of the smaller ones, so he can see the fishees.

Lucyhanco Thu 06-Feb-14 19:57:38

Just got back from Sharm, been 5 times in the past 3 troublesome years there! Never had a bad tummy just take precautions which looks like you have covered esp teeth brushing with bottled water!
DS is now 4 so we started from when she was 1. She loves it and regularly asks when she can go back.
Check Trip Advisor for your resort for any additional tips
Have a great holiday

Marylou2 Sun 23-Feb-14 22:07:54

HI OP, pleasr don't fret! We've been taking our daughter to Egypt since she was 1, now seven. In 5 trips we've not had an upset tum between us. If it does happen the pharmacies are fantastic. We love el gouna which is just up the coast from Hurghada but much quieter. You will be well away from the Sinai area where there has been recent trouble. Have a fabulous holiday.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Mon 24-Feb-14 11:25:47

Don't worry so much, you have said you are having vaccinations so you don't need to worry about Hep A or Typhoid and as long as you wash your hands thoroughly before you eat anything you will be fine.

As someone else said don't stay inside the hotel the whole time, that seems such a shame as Egypt is such a beautiful country.

BooPants2440 Mon 03-Mar-14 15:39:18

Hello ladies, I've decided to be lazy & stick this on the end of my other Post but it is related - Kinda!!

So now I've got the hygiene part sorted I can now happily fret about the current unrest in Egypt and oh yeah the terrorist threat stating all tourists should leave Egypt immediately (fco say fine to travel to some places Hurghada being one of them).

C'mon then who's just been, just going, just booking etc??

What was your experience?? Xx

BooPants2440 Tue 04-Mar-14 15:56:18

Anyone?? X

SooticaTheWitchesCat Wed 05-Mar-14 11:13:43

Has your tour operator said it isn't safe to go? the foreign office websites tend to over-dramatise things to be honest. I haven't heard anything about civil unrest for a while.

BooPants2440 Thu 06-Mar-14 20:15:26

Hey Soot,

No not a thing they just said they take advice from the FCO so still ok to go. There was a tourist bus blown up a couple of weeks back. Been in touch with hotel and they say all is calm. So thinking oh well lets just start looking forward to it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now