Last family hol outside of school hol- short or long haul

(7 Posts)
sleepdodger Tue 14-Jan-14 06:56:45

Ds will be starting school next sept and I want us to have a fab family hol away before he does before we're tied to school extortion dates
I'm well aware at 4 an adventure for him will be camping in garden but would like us to do something as a more 'adventure' experience hol as a last chance before years if camping await- nothing wrong with that but I'm sure to get the idea!
Where would you recommend?
Flight no more than 8 hours
Ideally something animal based, something different culturally, suitable as in safe for children and preferably less jabs needed better, and less if time zone change better!
Budget is flexible at this stage as till I can suss out where might be best to go I can't establish whether we can afford it or not but we're not a flash holiday family at all
In my mind was somewhere like Sri Lanka seeing elephants etc?
Suggestions pls!
Thanks in advance

2014newme Tue 14-Jan-14 19:03:27

Hi, Sri Lanka is 11 hours flying time.

Carribbean is around 8 hours although not brilliant for animals.

Don't forget you can take him out of school till he is 5 so it doesn't have to be the last holiday outside term time.

handcream Tue 14-Jan-14 19:06:54

Thailand is nice

2014newme Tue 14-Jan-14 19:15:30

Thailand is more than 8 hours though isn't it?

2014newme Tue 14-Jan-14 19:16:31

If you can stretch to 12 hours flight, South Africa is f ab for animals and very little time difference

justabigdisco Tue 14-Jan-14 19:17:07

Sri Lanka is more like 11 hours but I would thoroughly recommend it with little ones - go to Yala and do safari there.

sofi0308 Tue 14-Jan-14 19:42:52

having tried both with small kids i would put thailand way way above sri lanka but the flying time and transfers are a pain. does it need to be big scary animals, would a nice little place in europe with a cat and a rabbit and a goat not hit the spot. valencia zoo is incredible, (biopark) and there is a world class aquarium. and science museum with superman/spiderman/hulk display.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now