Recommend a family holiday holiday in August please. Southern Europe, good for kids, but no huge busy resorts and not to exp.

(8 Posts)
sassytheFIRST Tue 14-Jan-14 06:35:09

In the past, dh and I loved Greece - the less busy islands though. We are not resorty people but our girls are 11 and 9 and would enjoy other families' company. Self catering rather than all-inclusive as we'd prefer eating in a variety of places, happy to hire a car for at least a few days.

We're thinking possibly Minorca or Greece again. Portugal is lovely but the Algarve is v busy in August.

Anyone been somewhere fab?

SooticaTheWitchesCat Tue 14-Jan-14 12:26:43

How about Turkey? It does get hot in August but no hotter than Greece and it is very family friendly.

girlywhirly Tue 14-Jan-14 13:54:10

Look at Pefkos, Rhodes; The Island Blue hotel. You can get 2 bed apartments, main bedroom has the kitchenette and a shower ensuite, the other (separate) bedroom is twin beds and it's own ensuite shower. Great to have the extra shower, loo and hairdryer when getting ready to go out in the evening. There is a balcony with table and four chairs. The kitchenette is fine for snacky meals and there is also an ironing board and iron.

We went bed and breakfast (a very good buffet) and either had picnic lunch on the beach or pool bar snack, and ate out in the evening. You can choose which basis you like, but we were disappointed with the evening dinner and preferred the many other restaurants. The hotel is in close proximity to two sister hotels so that guests may use any of the swimming pools and facilities. This means others use the dining room at Island Blue too.

Pefkos is small enough to walk to everything you need and the taxi's have fixed fares if you want to go to Lindos just around the peninsula. The other thing we liked is they have noise restrictions from bars and so on after midnight so you won't be kept awake.

diabolo Tue 14-Jan-14 20:04:09

Menorca is much quieter than most other places - some people hate this, however I love it.

Son Bou, Cala Galdana, Santo Tomas, Arenal d'en Castell - all have lovely beaches, a good selection of places to eat, are really pretty and very family friendly.

Arepar Apartments / Isla Paraiso in Arenal are good 2 bed s/c apartments and the Royal Son Bou Club in Son Bou has good reviews.

girlywhirly Wed 15-Jan-14 09:33:28

diabolo, DH and I are going to Cala Galdana for a week this June. Although we will be at the Audax hotel, we would like to have lunch out a few times, do you have any recommendations? We like tapas a lot.

I agree with you that Menorca is quieter (certainly less 'in your face' than Mallorca) And we loved our week in Ciutadela although that was more of a city break.

diabolo Wed 15-Jan-14 12:53:00

I've only ever eaten lunch at the Audax hotel funnily enough - been to the beach a few times but not stayed for an evening meal, sorry, so don't know the good restaurants. People certainly seem to love the resort though.

girlywhirly Wed 15-Jan-14 13:17:06

Ah, you were just visiting. We are on half-board, but will as I say patronise the local cafe's for lunch, and bars in the evening.

sassytheFIRST Wed 15-Jan-14 14:02:45

Thanks folks, looks like Minorca could be a goer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now