Algarve with a one year old?

(6 Posts)
Waggamamma Wed 15-Jan-14 19:51:09

We went to First Choice Holiday Village Algarve with 2yr old ds last year. The hotel was lovely, clean, spacious rooms, quiet at night, good choice in the restaurants etc.

We also used the creche which was staffed by uk crb checked staff. it was good for us to get a few hours to ourselves during the day and for ds out to be out of the sun in air conditioned playroom for hottest part of the day.

Only slight let down was the location, there wasn't much nearby except other hotels. Although we did have direct access to a lovely beach. It was about 7 euros in a taxi to Alubuferia old town.

We went a day trip to thr the zoo marine park too which was fantastic. The shows and attractions were great. Although it was very hot with little shade.

ApplesinmyPocket Wed 15-Jan-14 19:22:13

Boo probably means the Old Town, Albufeira - as opposed to The Strip, at the eastern end of Albufeira, which is the 'tacky' bit - the Old Town does have a lot of local charm still, and is nice in late September - still reliably warm, even hot, and less crowded but still with plenty of atmosphere at night in the town with lots of family-friendly entertainment and stalls etc open very late. A good town beach too so no need for a car (tho if you do have a car or are prepared to travel by local bus, or cheap taxis, there are lots of other beautiful beaches nearby.)

It's hilly though which might be tiring with a buggy.

I took a one year old to the Algarve some years ago and we had a lovely time. Have usually been to Albufeira or Lagos, further west. But we liked Albufeira best and return there most years. We always had a villa with pool so can't suggest any hotels.

Christelle2207 Wed 15-Jan-14 19:10:12

Thanks both.
Boo, when you say old town which old town do you mean?

sergeantmajor Wed 15-Jan-14 18:09:23

Have a look at Sheraton Pine Cliffs, family friendly, but still luxury, and with an excellent creche. You can stay in a hotel room or a self catering apartment, as you prefer. They have a good special offer on at the moment too.

BooPants2440 Wed 15-Jan-14 15:49:40

Hi,

Algarve is lovely been twice and I take my son who is now 17 months.

Try and get near the old town you will not be disappointed, excellent bars (not too noisy) when you have kids which is great and very nice restaurants. Resort is clean and ppl very friendly.

I'm sorry but I must say this - Please please please do not leave your baby under any circumstances with anyone that you do not know regardless that they are qualified and CRB checked. Your dc is too young to tell you if anything is wrong/happened not to mention that baby could be taken. It's so not worth it, we take DS everywhere he goes to bed at 7:30pm holiday or no holiday and he just sleeps in his pram right next to me and DH safe and sound.

Sorry I know you didn't ask for this advice in particular!

x

Christelle2207 Mon 13-Jan-14 14:21:34

Hi
Researching options for our first holiday with the baby who will be one this summer. Either June or September so away from the peak season. Fancy the Algarve but never been. Can anyone recommend either some nice appartments with a kids pool or a hotel which is very child friendly (eg with childcare options for the baby). Also wondering which areas to aim for - Albufeira seems a bit tacky so woudl rather avoid that area. Would prefer some local charm if it exists.
TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now