Duinrell - any tips

(11 Posts)
dannydyerismydad Sun 12-Jan-14 20:43:17

We are a family of 3, me, DH and a 2 year old ( will be 3 in the summer). We've holidayed in Center Parcs in the UK a couple of times, but are considering going a little further afield this year.

Pre DH and DC, I used to live in the Netherlands, and would like to go back and stay somewhere pretty family friendly.

Is Duinrell suitable for a 3 year old? Are there any better alternatives? Any recommended travel companies or accommodation types?

Thanks much.

LoveSewingBee Sun 12-Jan-14 20:49:42

There will be a few things suitable for a three year old, however, quite a lot is for slightly older children. We went there with our school last year and even the six year olds were too small for several attractions.

Maybe the Efteling is better? It is the largest amusement park in Europe and has lots of nice things for young children (eg Sprookjes bos - fairly tales, 1001 nights, although 3 year old may find that a little scary, more gentle rides, carrousel, etc.).

dannydyerismydad Sun 12-Jan-14 20:52:21

Does the Efteling have accommodation?

dannydyerismydad Sun 12-Jan-14 20:58:22

Ooooo! I see it does have accommodation. I don't know if it would be suitable for a week long break though. I wonder if ex could do a few days in Amsterdam and a couple of nights at the Efteling? I forgot it existed and I've always wanted to go. Thank you!

LoveSewingBee Sun 12-Jan-14 20:58:24

The Efteling Hotel is wonderful but very expensive. Not sure if you feel like camping? There is a small farm which is also a campsite a five minute walk from the Efteling. There will be plenty of other places as well.

I found camping De Witterzomer near Assen in Drenthe very family friendly (this is not close to the Efteling at all). You can rent all kind of accommodation there, the facilities are good and clean. There is a small lake with beach, swimming pool (I vaguely remember), pony rides in high season, mini golf, play areas and lovely woods for walks. Near Assen there is Verkeerspark Assen, pedal cars with roads, traffic lights, police constables and of course you can get your driving licence there ... However, at three, he probably cannot reach the pedals, so one of you would need to push him round (it is a big park).

TBH for a three year old, especially if he likes trains, the isle of Man would be much nicer I think. You can rent a self-catering apartment in Douglas (if you shop around then it does not need to be too expensive) and then explore all railways possible: steam, electric, real mountain railway, narrow gauge and of course the horse trams. Paradise for young Thomas the Tank engine fans.

LoveSewingBee Sun 12-Jan-14 21:00:42

If you rent a car, you could certainly spend a few days in the Efteling (it is huge, impossible to cover in one day, even two days is a push, especially if your dc wants to have a rest during the afternoon). In Amsterdam there are several nice museums, plus nice to have a walk round. It will be quite expensive compared with the UK though (eating out is very expensive).

dannydyerismydad Sun 12-Jan-14 21:02:17

I lived in Amsterdam for 5 years. I can do that city on a budget!

PortofinoRevisited Mon 13-Jan-14 09:48:45

Have a look at Landal I think the Het vennebos one is near to De Efteling and has one of those Sub tropical pool complexes. We have been to a few of their sites and find them really good value.

PortofinoRevisited Mon 13-Jan-14 09:49:56

Efteling would definitely be better for little ones than Duinrell. I love the Fairytale Forest. blush

cheerup Mon 13-Jan-14 21:55:50

I would recommend Landal Het Vennenbos. Also, check out Beekse Bergen with Eurocamp. Really good value outside of UK school hols and loads to do including free access to an excellent safari park and a lovely small town with cafes an easy and safe cycle ride away. De Efteling is great but I'm not sure how much a just 3 year old would get out of it (although they have a whole area devoted to carousels) and it's not cheap so would need to be as much for you and your DP to make it worthwhile. There are attractions for smaller children like the carousels but even more for 7 up IMO

All three are very close and easily reached from Calais and The Netherlands is the perfect place to holiday with little ones.

PortofinoRevisited Mon 13-Jan-14 22:25:26

The advantage of Duinrell of course is that the park and pool tickets are included in what you pay. I live in Belgium though. We tend to go to Hoog Vaals near to Aachen/Maastricht. Lovely and clean, lots to do nearby - castles, Valkenburg, steam train, drielandenpunt with the tower an maze and the chance to stand in 3 countries at once. And we joke as we bought the fire package- and the stuff is still in the garage as at autumn half term/easter it was too warm to light the fire.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now