Morocco with a 6 month old

(6 Posts)
Knackeredmum13 Sun 12-Jan-14 10:05:39

Has anybody done this? Any tips or things to avoid?

We are looking to go for a week at the end if Feb. We were initially looking at the canaries but don't really fancy it and it's quite expensive at that time of year. Plus unless you spend a lot the hotels look quite dated . On a whim I looked at Morocco and the hotels are so much nicer for the same money.

I'm a little nervous about taking DS though who will be 6 1/2 months old.

HyvaPaiva Sun 12-Jan-14 10:33:07

I don't have DC yet so I'm not much help. However, I do go to Marrakech often. It's a family-friendly place. Are you planning to take a sling or carrier? The medina and souk streets probably aren't pushchair-friendly.

If staying in the old town/medina, there can be a lot of hustle and bustle so I'd recommend staying in a riad that gives you peace and quiet and lots of space for your DS. Riad L'Aziza here has huge rooms, a big courtyard garden, and a nice seating area. It's all ground level. Most riads have very steep spiral staircases and the benefit of L'Aziza is that everything's accessible. The staff there when we stayed were so lovely and would've done anything to help us. Also, the size of rooms there means that there's no space issue for a travel cot.

Or you could stay ten minutes further out in an area called Gueliz. It's the new town and perhaps easier to navigate.

If you happened to need a pharmacy, there's one on the main square Djemaa El Fna called Pharmacie de la Place. It's right in the centre and easy to find.

The area around the Saadian Tombs is also lovely.

I'd also suggest Jardin Majorelle, the botanic gardens, for a visit.

You'll have a wonderful time!

Knackeredmum13 Sun 12-Jan-14 10:48:36

Thanks it sounds lovely. I think we are looking at Agadir rather than Marrakesh.

HyvaPaiva Sun 12-Jan-14 11:01:13

I completely assumed Marrakech there, didn't I? grin

Haven't been to Agadir but if you do go, the town of Essaouira would be a wonderful day trip for a little one.

Knackeredmum13 Sun 12-Jan-14 11:15:33

Marrakech looks lovely but we aren't quite brave enough for our first holiday with a baby. Maybe next time!

OldBeanbagz Mon 13-Jan-14 15:06:17

I would stay in Essaouira rather than Agadir (if you can) as it's much nicer.

Took DC to Morocco when they were 6 & 3 and the LOVED it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now