Greek Isles in Feb half term - does anyone go?

(28 Posts)
kerloch Sat 11-Jan-14 23:27:01

Need a bit of warmth in Feb but only have a week. Are the resorts all shut up do you think in Feb?

FattyNewYear Sat 11-Jan-14 23:32:43

I dont think its very warm at all in Greece in the winter. I think they are prone to lots of rain and even snow.

kerloch Sat 11-Jan-14 23:37:11

Oh really shock. Maybe need to readjust my sights!

AryaUnderfoot Sun 12-Jan-14 06:57:38

Canaries are the best bet for sun in Feb with a relatively short travel time.

castlesintheair Sun 12-Jan-14 08:08:40

Rhodes is best but you won't get a suntan.

They will be closed.
And cold.
Even the Canaries are warm rather than hot in February.

kerloch Sun 12-Jan-14 15:42:34

I shall have a look - anyone recommend a nice, upmarket/family area of the Canaries.

mummymeister Sun 12-Jan-14 16:55:52

check out the accuweather site which will tell you what the weather is going to be like at your chosen place. we use it all the time. you have to go pretty far south in feb to get warm/hot. different if you just want "not cold/snowing"

Fuertaventura is lovely. Byt be warned, in February the water is cold, it is not the same as a summer beach holiday. Many hotels claim to heat pools but they just chip the ice off are not warm enough for DC to spend much time in, and I wouldn't dip a toe in.
You will get pleasant warm sunshine though.

kerloch Tue 14-Jan-14 12:45:38

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to have a look.

shabbs Tue 14-Jan-14 12:52:31

Dont know about the other Greek islands but Rhodes 'holiday season' is usually May to October. We once went the last 2 weeks in October...we had temperatures around 19-21 degrees every day and some amazing rain and lightning at night -which meant we HAD to sit in the bar and watch it grin all the locals wore overcoats when we were there!!

This Winter they have had severe flooding in Rhodes.

We once went to Teneriffe for Christmas and it was lovely. Word of warning though - if you chose Teneriffe dont go up Mount Teidi with your Summer clothes on - we did that and when we got to the top of the damn thing it was covered in thick snow LOL.

Whistleblower0 Tue 14-Jan-14 12:56:37

Would you consider Egypt? It will definitely be warm there in feb. Some good deals around at the moment as well particularly for all inclusive.

girlywhirly Tue 14-Jan-14 13:20:35

Greek islands season starts around 1st May and ends mid to late October. A lot of restaurants shut down, in fact some resorts do and tourist attractions as seasonal workers return to the mainland. And the weather is unpredictable, lots of rain and snow at higher altitudes (there are a lot of mountains on the islands as well as the mainland.)

Madeira is a possibility as some hotels are open in Feb, but I can't say what the weather will be like. Thomson fly from Gatwick, Luton, Birmingham, East Midlands, Manchester, Newcastle, and Glasgow; 3 3/4 to 4hrs flying time. Might not be very exciting for DC's though. Canaries probably better.

kerloch Tue 14-Jan-14 17:04:46

I think we've ruled out Madeira/Middle East but will definitely look at Madeira. Canaries look a bit like Spain and our family have a villa there (though cold this time of year). So wonder if it would be worth it. Anyone know about Malta?

Well geographically Malta is not going to be any warmer than Greece in February.

specialsubject Tue 14-Jan-14 17:58:22

sun strength is not relevant to temperature. You would get a tan on Rhodes in February IF your skin tans and you exposed enough of it for long enough. You can get a tan in a ski resort.

but it will not be warm enough to do this.

Canaries ARE Spanish. Each island is very different. Beach holiday in the Canaries is feasible in February.

Brokenpurpleheart Tue 14-Jan-14 18:00:38

Canaries are lovely at this time of year. My favourite is Fuerteventura.

NigellasDealer Tue 14-Jan-14 18:04:15

Cyprus or Rhodes might be OK but it many places in Greece it will just be windy and rainy

kerloch Tue 14-Jan-14 18:51:35

broken why would you recommend Fuertaventura? What makes it better than say Tenerife?

2014newme Tue 14-Jan-14 18:58:17

Greece holiday season starts may.

Christelle2207 Tue 14-Jan-14 19:05:39

And you will struggle to find any flights to the islands before late April!

Whistleblower0 Tue 14-Jan-14 20:18:36

I have been to malta in april. It was very pleasant but not hot, and we had light rain on a couple of the days.
I would't go in February tbh..

Bunbaker Wed 15-Jan-14 16:34:52

We visited Lanzarote in February several years ago and it as averaging at 18 degrees during the day. There is lots to see and do in Lanzarote though so it doesn't matter so much if it isn't beach weather.

What about Cape Verde?

Mumzy Fri 17-Jan-14 00:23:10

Went to Corfu one year in April it was cold wet and miserable.

NigellasDealer Fri 17-Jan-14 08:44:52

well yes anywhere on the Ionian side would be like that, if you want the chance of some sun at that time of year you would have to go to Cyprus or Rhodes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now