Injections for Turkey?

(13 Posts)

Have been considering Turkey for October half term, but am unsure if we need any injections if we go?

Have any of you been, and have you had any?

AryaUnderfoot Sat 11-Jan-14 17:45:05

Apart from the usual vaccinations for UK, there are some recommended vaccines for Turkey. Which vaccines you will be recommended depends on where you are staying and what you are doing.

Hepatitis A vaccine is recommended for all visitors to Turkey, and typhoid for those who are travelling away from areas where clean food preparation can be guaranteed. Contact your GP, who will ask you for details about where you are staying and what you plan to do on your holiday. If, like us, you are sticking to well-known holiday resorts, it is likely that you will only be recommended to have Hap A vaccine.

We went to Turkey last August.

FortyFacedFuckers Sat 11-Jan-14 17:46:32

I didn't have any when I went to Turkey a few years ago.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Mon 13-Jan-14 12:04:35

Recommended for all Mediterranean destinations including Turkey is Tetanus (which you should have up to date anyway at home) and Hep A.

Saying that I lived in Turkey and never had Hep A.

girlywhirly Mon 13-Jan-14 14:59:10

If you get your Hep A sorted out now, you have a first injection, and a second between 6 and 12 months after that. This will last 20 years according to my vaccination card. Keep Tetanus vaccination up to date as well, this is often given as a triple jab including Diphtheria and Polio, lasting 10 years. Typhoid may be offered as well which lasts 3 years.

Our GP surgery did all our injections free of charge but this may not be the case everywhere.

Depends where you are going to be honest ? Most holiday destinations nothing is needed.

specialsubject Mon 13-Jan-14 17:39:35

nothing 'extra' is needed as long as everyone has the usual set. Polio, typhoid, tetanus, diphtheria, MMR and anything else I've forgotten.

Custardo Mon 13-Jan-14 17:41:34

went to turkey twice last year - no injections and asked the doctor

we didnt have any extras for either of the trips we went to turkey

We would go to the Dalaman area.

Selks Mon 13-Jan-14 18:48:00

The correct info is available online...have you tried googling?

Dalaman you will be fine, nothing extra to the standard ones you have here as specialsubject has stated. I think some areas have malaria but they wouldn't be the places you go on holiday.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Tue 14-Jan-14 12:12:40

There is no malaria and typhoid is not neccessary.

I work in a GP surgery smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now