S/C in a resort, Greece/Turkey\Cyprus type area

(26 Posts)
ImTheCatWithTheBassAndDrum Sat 11-Jan-14 09:32:29

Hi,
Any help gratefully appreciated.
Looking for holiday somewhere warm and sunny but not scorching in April-ish. Thinking Greece, Turkey, Cyprus, but not restricted to those areas. Don't really want to go anywhere we'll need vaccinations. Need self-catering, but would really like to be within a resort with fab facilities for three year old - mainly a fun pool with slides and stuff, and ideally right next to a nice sandy beach. Anyone know of such a place?

Onykahonie Sat 11-Jan-14 10:44:25

Greece will almost certainly be too cold for swimming in April and you might not have good weather. Unless you go to a large resort or city, you might find that not many places are open either, as the season doesn't really start there until May.
We have been in early May (several times) and although it's generally warm and sunny, the water is just warm enough for a quick dip!

How about the Canaries?

DrNick Sat 11-Jan-14 10:47:42

OH MY GOD YES

i have the best ever

hold on

DrNick Sat 11-Jan-14 10:48:20

but no fun stuff for three year olds

leave her at home
www.simpsontravel.com/turkey-holidays/dalyan/apartments/dalyan-river-suites

ImTheCatWithTheBassAndDrum Sat 11-Jan-14 14:15:03

Thanks for the replies. Ony, have done the Canaries enough, pre child. Don't really like them, the beaches are black sand and not lovely. Good to know you think Greece will be too cold in April. Would be end of April, ideally (birthday) though I suppose May could do, but I'd rather be in the UK for May as it starts to get warmer here.

Haha, Dr.Nick! No! Not leaving my toddler behind (is a boy, actually!). smile Any other ideas?

LeBearPolar Sat 11-Jan-14 14:21:03

Average temperature in Kefalonia in April is 15 C, which is a bit on the chilly side for swimming in the sea, but there's some lovely s/c accommodation there in the resort of Lassi. Normal pool, no slides and stuff, but lovely beach five minutes walk away.

Average temp in Turkey is 20 C in April, so you might be better off looking there. Never been though, so can't help!

ImTheCatWithTheBassAndDrum Sat 11-Jan-14 14:28:15

Ah, thanks, I thought all those places would be decently warm by April. Will rule out Greece, I don't do cold sea swimming!

Not been to Turkey either, or Cyprus.

Custardo Sat 11-Jan-14 14:36:11

i have booked a holiday to turkey for two poeple for 200 quid each apts have pool. bar dolmus from beach up in lovely mountains close to 2 big resorts. lowcostholiday . com

overthemill Sat 11-Jan-14 14:39:11

Rhodes is warmer than other islands as would be Crete and both have big resorts which would be good. Don't know what your budget is but what about club med or mark warner or neilson resorts? They have great facilities if you have kids. Otherwise you may find everything a bit quiet. My sister goes to Egypt that time of year which is year round of course

ImTheCatWithTheBassAndDrum Sat 11-Jan-14 15:33:43

Thanks, Custy, wow, bargain!

overthemill, we can spend a bit, as we haven't actually had a holiday in four years, but I am ever a bargain-hunter and would prefer to spend as little as possible, don't need luxury just yet. Will look at your recommendations, thank you. I don't mind quiet, would be really nice to have some other children for DS to play with though. I do fancy Egypt! Have just discovered we are expecting a baby so I can't dive, so Egypt feels a little bit of a waste in that respect, just now. But I won't rule it out.

AryaUnderfoot Sat 11-Jan-14 15:33:44

Marmaris (Turkey) is a good sized resort with two water parks and lots of s/c accommodation. Prices range from cheap to v. expensive - all grades of apartments are available.

April really is the start of the season, so water in outdoor pools may stil be pretty cold and you could get rainy days. Also, the resort may not be fully open - I'd check dates for the water parks.

ImTheCatWithTheBassAndDrum Sat 11-Jan-14 15:35:40

Thanks, Arya. I do need warm water though, comfortable to swim in. Oh poo. Maybe we could wait til a bit later in the year. Just it's my birthday at the end of April and I had hoped to be away for it. And enjoy a British summer (ever the optimist, me!).

AryaUnderfoot Sat 11-Jan-14 15:57:25

Have you thought about somewhere with indoor pools and water slides? We've just booked Center Parcs in Belgium for February - if anywhere has warm water then CP will!

ImTheCatWithTheBassAndDrum Sat 11-Jan-14 16:16:13

I have, and we could stay in the UK for that. I fancy a bit of outdoor warmth, DS splashing in the sea on a nice beach, spotting some fish and crabs. And a pool with slides and stuff.

girlywhirly Sat 11-Jan-14 16:19:34

Rhodes is a lovely temp in late May. We found that the temp went up in the first week of June. If you choose somewhere with a shallow sea it will be warm enough to get in the water.

ImTheCatWithTheBassAndDrum Sat 11-Jan-14 16:23:23

Thanks, looking ...

Lizzylou Sat 11-Jan-14 17:22:58

We went to Turkey in mid April one year. It was cold in the sea and pool, it was warming up every day though.
Dalyan that Drnick linked to is a lovely area, I would avoid Marmaris tbh, sorry.

What about Malta/Gozo?
We are going there in May and it is supposed to be sunny almost all of the year, could just be being gullible.

Morocco? Cape Verde islands?

ImTheCatWithTheBassAndDrum Sat 11-Jan-14 22:53:11

Is Malta warm enough for dipping in the sea? Will check out Gozo, thank you. And your other ideas. Though I am now thinking Egypt!

castlesintheair Sun 12-Jan-14 08:15:34

Peloponese in Greece can be lovely in April. Or Rhodes.

overthemill Sun 12-Jan-14 09:51:45

I think the med wil, in general be too cold for pleasant swimming in April. I generally like it by July! But my kids are hazier and May is ok for them. Early may is beautiful in the med

Coconutty Sun 12-Jan-14 09:56:58

Cyprus sea will be too cold imo and you'll need a heated pool. Egypt will be warmer but I wouldn't really want to be self catering there.

ImTheCatWithTheBassAndDrum Sun 12-Jan-14 12:18:33

Thank you, all. We have decided to just rule out the Med now, and will look for long-haul. DS totally will not be happy in cold water, and a big point of it for me is to see him having fun splashing in a warm sea, playing in the sand, etc. He just won't be happy if it's cold. So thank you for helping us work this out. Will maybe start a new thread for long haul. thanks

SooticaTheWitchesCat Mon 13-Jan-14 12:16:42

I think anywhere in the Mediterranean the sea will be cold. I know it is freezing in Turkey, I have never managed to swim there before May. Most resorts don't open up until the beginning of May either.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Mon 13-Jan-14 12:17:33

Oops, I have just read you have ruled out the Med so please ingore me wink

ImTheCatWithTheBassAndDrum Mon 13-Jan-14 12:47:09

smile Thanks anyway! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now