Tenerife, Feb half term. If weather is iffy, what is there to do?

(10 Posts)
Gorran Wed 08-Jan-14 16:55:40

Think we've had to discount anywhere further afield as just too expensive this time and it seems that out of all the Canary Islands, Tenerife has the best weather in Feb. What I'd like to know is, if the weather is a bit iffy sometimes, ie. too cold to sit by the pool/for my children to play in the water then what else is there to do? Can you recommend any hotels that have a lot of facilities in case of this?

Thanks

Creamycoolerwithcream Wed 08-Jan-14 20:16:20

Did you decide against Dubai Gorran?
I haven't any hotel recommendations as have stayed in apartments there but would priorotise a heated pool.

Gorran Wed 08-Jan-14 20:29:42

Yes, it's just coming out so expensive. I'd still love to go but really struggling to get anything under £4k. And absolutely, heated pool is a must!

Creamycoolerwithcream Wed 08-Jan-14 20:40:19

I'm sure you'll find somewhere.

princessalbert Thu 09-Jan-14 14:30:35

If you have a car you can drive around the whole of the island. We stayed in the north last time, and it was so much more beautiful than the south.

Trip to Mount Teide is a must. Even if you don't go up the cable car to the top - just the trip through the national park is amazing. You can drive yourself, or take a bus tour from resort.

In fact a bus tour is good- I found it a really relaxing way to see everything, and find out about the island and people etc.

I don't know which hotels would have a lot of facilities for children, as mine are older - and last time was just me and DH anyway.

There is a zoo/animal place in Puerto de La Cruz - but I can't remember the name - ii think that would be great for children.

The weather is unlikely to be terrible. We have been for the past 5 or 6 Feb half terms to various canary islands - mostly warm and sunny - low 20s C. Occasionally a colder, windy day - or some drizzle. But still dramatically better than the UK. I have been in the sea most trips and got a great tan.

I would check out Trip Advisor - find the Tenerife forum and there will be lots of info on there with regard to activities for the children and other useful stuff.

dingalong Thu 09-Jan-14 20:12:27

We went last march. We stayed in luabay los gigantes. Weather was fine but hotel had kids cinema. .It rained one day and they had t-shirt painting. im guessing most places would have stuff for bad weather. We didnt use kids club so couldn't say whst else there was (dd was 3). We went to mount teide but cable car closed on the day due to wind (so just check in advance ). Didn't get to zoo but supposed to be good. I'm trying gran canaria this year but there are submarine trips on all islands - have a look on trip advisor.

CozyOtter Thu 09-Jan-14 21:10:46

The Jungle Park near Costa Adeje is a lovely day trip and although it is all outdoors there is lots if tree cover!

beanandspud Sat 11-Jan-14 15:23:33

We have always found loads to do in Tenerife but I would recommend having a car.

Jungle Park is good for a day out, there is also Monkey Park which is much smaller but has enough for a couple of hours of entertainment. Depending on the weather you could do a boat trip, or get the ferry over to La Gomera. Las Americas and Los Cristianos both have things like mini golf that have been worth a couple of hours away from the hotel. We've also had a morning at the Go-Kart Club which is fun.

Loro Parque is in the north and is quite expensive but definitely worth a day out. Santa Cruz (the capital) is also worth a visit.

Like the PP, I would recommend a trip to Mount Teide just to see the landscape. There is also a Camel farm up near Los Gigantes where you can do a camel ride.

I haven't been but DH keeps going on about visiting the pyramids on the east coast.

Loads to do in Tenerife.

Go-carting
couple of water parks
Loro Park (however bit of a trek if you are south)
Jungle Park.
Loads of water sports.
Camel Park

AryaUnderfoot Mon 13-Jan-14 21:56:47

Hire a car. Drive up Mt Teide at night - anywhere above the clouds (which sit quite low) will do.

View the stars with absolutely no light pollution whatsoever.

It is a truly awesome sight, partiularly if (like me) you live in the suburbs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now