Florence for DH 40th?

(22 Posts)
flippyfloppy Sun 05-Jan-14 16:00:24

Hi there, DH is 40 in May and I would like to book a few nights somewhere in Europe. (Childfree!!!) I've been checking flights out and Florence is looking a good option, just wondered what people's thoughts on Florence are? Does it have the wow factor? ( had also considered Venice and Rome)

I loved Florence after a few days but in my opinion it isn't as instantly breathtakingly beautiful as Rome.

And it pongs a bit.

flippyfloppy Sun 05-Jan-14 17:28:45

Thanks for the post, oooh interesting I'll double check Rome flights!

flippy Rome is the most beautiful and interesting city I've ever been to. I've been 4 times and constantly dream of going back.

If you have an interest in history, art and architecture there is nowhere better for a city break!

If you do book Rome I can give you some tips smile .

specialmagiclady Sun 05-Jan-14 17:32:47

I love the smell of Florence and won't wash my clothes for weeks after I've been. Are you going to want to "tick off" the various sights or are you going to mooch around and eat delicious food and shag?

Florence is good for the latter, I think.

DontCallMeDaughter Sun 05-Jan-14 17:35:14

I much preferred Florence to Rome smile Florence is glorious, we found it a lot more friendly than Rome and much cleaner, the sites are just as good. The Boboli Gardens and David are in Florence. Have you looked at Venice? If I had to choose a weekend in Italy, it would be Venice. If I had a week I'd do Florence, Pisa etc. I wouldn't choose to go back to Rome....

Oi special we shagged loads in Rome thank you very much!

You can do both grin .

justabigdisco Sun 05-Jan-14 17:37:26

I've been to Florence and Venice, but not Rome. F is lovely, but if you want the 'wow' factor it has to be Venice. One of those places that seems familiar from seeing it on TV - but it is unbelievably beautiful in real life. All 3 will be heaving with tourists.

Rome is pretty. Florence lovely. Sienna romantic. I'd go for Verona though I think. You can catch a train to Venice for the day too.

flippyfloppy Sun 05-Jan-14 18:10:47

Thanks all!....Well now I'm really confused!....grin We are foodies and love good local food, appreciate art, architecture, history but not experts and don't have a list to tick off, but I would plan the sights/visits before we went ! Like to people watch with good wine/coffee. Only ever been to Southern Italy before we had kids and we loved it! I want a real "wow" factor, romance (?!?!?... DH may not agree but I can try), shagging yup, lots of I hope!.... Oooh I'm excited already we have never been abroad on our own since having children! .. We went to Paris for his 30th and had a great time.

mummymeister Sun 05-Jan-14 19:15:55

in order of preference Rome, Barcelona, Verona, Florence. did not like Venice at all. up itself sort of place and hideously overpriced. loads to do in rome and lots of great restaurants. with Barcelona you get the added bonus of the beach.

Wuxiapian Sun 05-Jan-14 20:01:25

Not sure how you would define "wow", but Florence is very lovely.

ranoutofnames Sun 05-Jan-14 20:29:20

Have been to Rome and Venice. Venice is incredibly romantic and had the 'wow' factor for me - St Marks Square is amazing. Away from St Mark's Square, it isn't anywhere near as expensive, lots of pretty restaurants by the numerous bridges. Rome has more sights though we didn't have a good meal once in Rome.

ranout you either chose badly or were unlucky. The food in Rome is amazing.

OP wherever you go you'll have a ball. It's a nice predicament to be in smile .

DP and I booked to go to Prague in a few weeks and now can't because I got unexpectedly pregnant and have had medical complications sad . I'm very envy of your city break.

ranoutofnames Sun 05-Jan-14 20:59:19

Yes, you'd think so. In 4 days and obviously several lunches/dinners, every one was abysmal. Can't say that for any other city break we've been on.

NotCitrus Mon 06-Jan-14 00:54:59

I'd go for Florence or Venice over Rome - prettier, walkable, and more Renaissance history not just ancient white marble.
Excellent food in either if you avoid the tourist traps round the Duomo/San Marco.

BeCool Mon 06-Jan-14 01:15:32

I was underwhelmed by Florence.

Unless you specifically want full on tourist stuff, take a look at Sienna. Not far from Florence, and incredibly amazing beautiful and romantic. Great food, bars etc too.

NotCitrus Mon 06-Jan-14 07:50:32

OP - I think you'll be fine in any of them if you get a 'wow romance factor' hotel - probably easier to find an interesting small one in Venice or Florence, but any of your cities could be a fantastic couply break (envy... not had any such thing in 5 years myself)

flippyfloppy Mon 06-Jan-14 09:45:09

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread! I've got a lot of research to do. Looks like Rome is out of the equation due to flight times, and the prices are a lot higher to fly there. I'm going to go try and do dome googling this week and ill report back ! X

Somermummy1 Fri 10-Jan-14 20:44:43

I'm voting Florence although slightly biased as got married there and half Italian!

If that's where you end up let me know and can send you lots of tips on places to go to avoid the tourist tick sheet city break

You'll have a fabulous time wherever you end up !

SoldeInvierno Fri 10-Jan-14 22:16:10

Definitely Florence! We went there for DH's 40th. It was my 4th time and I never get tired of it.

Notsoskinnyminny Sat 11-Jan-14 15:54:08

ranout we had the same experience in Rome when DH 'surprised' me and took me for a big birthday can't you tell who researches where we go/plans our days. For the same reason we probably didn't see/do all that we could.

We both love Venice and found it very cheap to eat out, thanks to the lovely receptionist in our hotel, but splurged on a beer in St Mark's Square because you can't go to Venice and not.

Somermummy1 I've just booked 4 days in Florence its where I really wanted to go for my birthday can you send me some tips, as much as we love Italy we've seen enough churches to last a lifetime grin

Verona was nice but we based ourselves in Sirmione, Lake Garda, and felt a day was enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now