Recommendations for Barcelona with a 6 year old?

(11 Posts)
TheDayOfMyDoctor Wed 01-Jan-14 18:50:40

We're thinking if going to Barcelona for 5 days in the summer with 6 year old DS and wondered if anyone had any tips or recommendations on areas to stay, places to visit etc. We're hoping to book an apartment/holiday rental, so if anyone has stayed somewhere they'd recommend that would be useful!

TIA

Princessjonsie Thu 02-Jan-14 03:03:56

My brother lives there so have taken my son since a baby. We just took him everywhere . It's a very child friendly city. The Spanish love children. If they love football the Nou Camp was excellent . He even got a kick about with the youth team . Tip: they eat late so a nap in the afternoon is always a must and then enjoy the evening . The ramble is good but make sure wrist straps are worn so they do not get lost. Careful on the metro as I had an incident where thieves pushed my son to distract me and them tried to go for my bag. They know you will automatically make your child a priority and be distracted . All in all if you keep your wits about you and your bag inside your jacket you will be fine

TheDayOfMyDoctor Mon 06-Jan-14 11:13:43

Thanks for your post and tips. Sorry to hear about your metro experience.

We spent three weeks there last August - apart from the sweltering heat we had a fab time. See if you can stay near a beach - we stayed in an area called Poblenou and it was wonderful; close to a lovely, family beach and very child-friendly. The metro is great (& air conditioned) and you can get pretty much anywhere on it so you don't have to be in the centre of Barcelona.

In terms of attractions for children I'd avoid the main Aquarium in town - overpriced rubbish - but go here instead www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187497-d1933695-Reviews-CosmoCaixa-Barcelona_Catalonia.html
I cannot recommend it highly enough.
Laos check out this website www.mumabroad.com for lots of ideas.

Have fun.

smile

alma123 Sun 12-Jan-14 21:45:11

I think Parc Guell would be fun for that age.

PortofinoRevisited Belgium Mon 13-Jan-14 10:15:21

I have stayed here twice - really central, just off the Ramblas close to Plaza Catalunya. Parc Guell is a must. The Park and Zoo are fun. Cable car ride over the harbour. The Gaudi builldings are really quirky and would probably interest a 6 yo. Casa Batllo and La Pedrera has the most fantastic roof top space. I quite liked the Aquarium. There is a big fun fair on Mount Tibidabo.

dotty2 Mon 13-Jan-14 10:24:57

Our 5 and 7 year olds loved it. It was a very easy city with children - lots of squares with small playgrounds (even right outside La Sagrada Familia). We tried to keep them up to eat late, but everyone got too tired so we tended to have a nice lunch and then buy a bottle of wine and some nibbles for the apartment in the evening. We stayed in Eric Vokel apartments which were fine, though you might be able to do better. I don't have time to get my guidebook and memory hazy but ours enjoyed the cable car up the Olympic site (Montjuic?) and meandering back down. Taxis were affordable and didn't seem to rip tourists off as in some other big destinations (Rome, I'm looking at you). Older DD loved Parc Guell, younger one the stained glass in La Sagrada Familia.

flatmum Mon 13-Jan-14 11:35:18

We're going at Easter for 4 days with 9, 6 and 3y old - so joining this thread too smile. I am looking for somewhere to stay at the moment - DP wants to stay at the W Hotel but I am not sure how child-friendly that would be ....

Think I'd prefer an apartment - how to book one?

TheDayOfMyDoctor Wed 15-Jan-14 20:50:06

Thanks for all the posts. We've now found an apartment after endlessly trawling through tripadvisor and endless websites and booked the first one I saw.

I appreciate all the recommendations - only wish summer wasn't so far away grin

goingtobefree Wed 15-Jan-14 20:54:45

Flat - we stayed in a lovely apartment in Barcelona.pm me I can let you know.

TheDayOfMyDoctor Wed 15-Jan-14 20:59:35

Ooh, do you mind if I pm you too - have still to pay deposit on the one I booked!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now