Lone parent - travel ideas

(9 Posts)
Llareggub Tue 31-Dec-13 14:32:19

I have 2 boys aged 7 and 4 and would love to travel with them in 2014. We have holidayed in the UK frequently but they would love to go on an aeroplane.

I'm looking for ideas for the Easter hols. They both love swimming, the beach etc and would probably be happy with a pool.

I'm looking for something fairly easy for me to do alone. I've travelled alone but not with children. Single parent trips don't appeal.

Budget - really would like to do this on a shoestring.

Llareggub Tue 31-Dec-13 14:33:33

Oh, I'd be ok with driving from airport to resort so long as it doesn't involve city driving. Memories of driving in Romania have scarred me.

Llareggub Tue 31-Dec-13 15:38:24

Please? My credit card is flexed and ready to go.

Onykahonie Tue 31-Dec-13 19:34:21

How about the Algarve or Costa del Sol? Weather can be variable, but flights and accommodation are cheap.

Llareggub Tue 31-Dec-13 22:05:40

I'm currently weighing up between a villa in Majorca and an all inclusive hotel in Lanzarote. The villa comes with a car and is my choice, but the hotel is kid heaven but looks like my idea of hell.

I will look at the Algarve, hadn't thought of that, thank you.

makemineapinot Thu 02-Jan-14 23:59:10

Kid he'll is actually your heaven when they're young and you're a single parent! Plus weather will be better! Kids will be entertained and I have learned to shut out the loud music as I recline on a lounger reading a book! Also you'll have company in the evening whereas in a villa it's just you when dc gave gone to bed and you're still doing all the chores! Plus the kid heaven place might have a spa fir when you book dc into kids club!

NigellasDealer Fri 03-Jan-14 00:03:54

Rhodes ?
have been there twice as a single parent with two children and we had a great time both times.

princessalbert Mon 06-Jan-14 22:11:22

I took DS to Lanzarote a couple of times alone when he was 4 and 5 years old.

It felt very 'safe' and I wasn't anxious about being a LP with a young child there.

A hotel with kids' activities would be good to keep them occupied, and make friends.

Notsoskinnyminny Sat 11-Jan-14 16:02:53

I went to the Algarve, Majorca and Cyprus with mine. I always booked a hotel with a kids club and entertainment, not my holiday of choice, but the kids had a blast, made friends and I'd read a couple of books, recharge my batteries and buy a bag or three grin

The first time I went I was worried about being on my own but always found someone to talk to and some of the couples looked downright miserable to be stuck together for 2 wks grin but it was fun to people watch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now