Tenerife for Christmas - what to pack?

(14 Posts)
mckenzie Tue 17-Dec-13 18:33:50

i can;t get my head around what the weather will be like. For the daytime will we be in shorts and vest tops, shorts and t shirts, cardigans?
And for the evening could 8 yr old DD for example get away with wearing tights without being too hot? (she's just been given a new pair of sandals as an early christmas present but i think without tights she'll get blisters).

Cardigans and jumpers for the evening yes?

TIA

mckenzie Tue 17-Dec-13 20:54:36

Bump

dreamingofsun Tue 17-Dec-13 21:04:36

we've been to lanzarote in feb and its pretty warm during the day - shorts and tshirt weather, but during the evenings its jeans and fleeces. but guess its a slightly different time of year, and adjacent islands.

mckenzie Tue 17-Dec-13 21:44:14

Thanks dreaming. I'll get out a few more jumpers smile

dreamingofsun Wed 18-Dec-13 08:58:18

maybe also a light jacket if its the same temp as feb. have you tried googling the temperatures? you should also be able to get a weather forecast online

mckenzie Wed 18-Dec-13 18:27:31

Thanks dreaming I've done that but I can't seem to compute the forecast I'm being given with what clothes that requires ! Daft huh?

Bunbaker Wed 18-Dec-13 18:43:24

We have also been to Lanzarote in February. I wish I had taken more cardigans and socks as it was disappointingly chilly.

Obviously it is going to be warmer than here, but don't assume it will be shorts and T-shirt weather every day.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 18-Dec-13 18:50:14

I went in Oct a few years ago and it was quite chilly even in the day. I was wearing a fleece on the beach. The locals did say it wasn't normally so cool and drizzly.

Saying that they had really bad floods due to heavy rain last week.

mckenzie Thu 19-Dec-13 23:02:04

stuff it, I think i'll take my whole wardrobe just to be on the safe side grin

kazza446 Thu 19-Dec-13 23:05:35

My cousin has just come back from storms and flooding in Tenerife, pack some warm clothes too. Hopefully they are over it now x

It can be chilly this time of year, especially in the evening. Most hotels/apartments lack heaters.....

gordonpym Fri 20-Dec-13 16:56:15

We go to tenerife every year for Christmas. I always take: short for the day, long for the night. I may be surprisingly hot some days and unbelievably freezing some evenings.
The good news, is I buy a lot of stuff there as there is a nice benetton Outlet in Playa de las Americas.
You won't feel cold in the hotel just outside if you go for a walk near the sea.

mckenzie Fri 20-Dec-13 22:18:44

thanks for the posts guys. Gordonpym - I'll have to buy another suitcase if I buy anymore clothes. We've ended up with more luggage than for two weeks in the summer grin

gordonpym Sat 21-Dec-13 06:38:46

They sell suitcases too, so don't worry for that!
December is usually warmer than february. And what you pack depends a lot of what you do. If you stay all the time in the hotel, if you plan to visit the island (the North is a lot cooler and don't you dare even think about going up to the Teide without winter gear! ), go out in the evening, ... What I usually pack for my boys: 4 beach shorts, 4 bermudas, 3 jeans, 5 t-shirts, 4 sweatshirts, 1 jacket, flip flops for the day, trainers for the night, and of course swimsuits. My DCs surf so we take wetsuits and one fleece each for when they come ice-blue out of the water.
And don't forget a beach bag. I take as well a couple of ikea blue bags. Not trendy nor smart, but I always end up being the one who carries all the beach stuff (towels, water, book, cream, sweater, food,...) while the DCs carry their board, and the ikea bag is just perfect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now