December sun?

(8 Posts)

Hi,

Dd will be 11 months old and I'm looking for somewhere to go for a week's holiday before I go back to work after maternity leave.

Our criteria are

Warm (but not too hot - 20-25c)
Short flight (Max four hours)

Is this possible?

I thought maybe the canaries but I've heard really mixed reports about the weather there in December. Also I'm worried they may be a little soulless, the main plan for this holiday will be to relax by the beach/pool but I'd like the option to visit some local attractions too.

Thanks

homebythesea Wed 13-Nov-13 07:50:11

You won't find anywhere reliably hot within 4 hrs travel. You need to think Egypt, Dubai or Caribbean at that time of the year

Thanks. I did think about Egypt but the political situation is a bit worrying. Can't afford the Caribbean and don't fancy Dubai.

Plan b is to go somewhere we accept will be a bit cooler but where we can do some sightseeing rather than spending a week on the beach

blossomblowing Wed 13-Nov-13 09:39:07

canaries do have something to offer.. have a look at thetrunkifiles.com/ for a good round up of lanzarote. (although i am told tenerife is warmer and a bit posher)
book flight last minute once you have checked forecast. or check in to a nice uk hotel with indoor pool?

specialsubject Wed 13-Nov-13 22:36:24

Tenerife - a stunning volcanic area in the middle, good walking, pleasant climate, good beaches.

Lanzarote - lots of volcanic sights, good beaches, restrained architecture.

and that's just two of them! Plenty on the Canaries.

Ok we have taken the plunge and booked a week in lanzarote. Playa blanca, as it sounded nice based on the review linked to above. Thanks for your help!

fussychica Tue 26-Nov-13 18:33:24

We are off there next week too. Can't wait. Used to be our regular winter break spot but haven't been for years as was living in Spain. Hope we still love it - hope you do togrin

fussychica Tue 26-Nov-13 18:33:42

too not to!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now