Italy advice welcome

(8 Posts)
Poppy954 Sun 03-Nov-13 18:48:39

I'm looking at ideas for a holiday in italy in august 2014. It'll be for 2 adults and three children (15 yrs, 9 yrs and 6 months). We just want something simple - a villa or apartment with a pool and near to a beach or lake and within walking distance of a few restaurants. Having never been to Italy before it seems a bit overwhelming. If anyone can suggest an area or resort I might have more luck narrowing down accommodation. Thank you in advance.

Bunbaker Thu 07-Nov-13 19:08:12

Lake Garda. And I'm sure loads of others will suggest the same. It is utterly beautiful, there are lots of different types of holidays to suit different circumstances, the food is lovely and you can lounge by a pool or hop on one of the many ferries that ply around the lake and explore different towns. It is hot but not unbearably hot in August. I would suggest that you take insect repellant for the mosquitoes and make sure you have air conditioning in your accommodation as the nights can be rather sticky.

We have stayed in Garda and Sirmione and loved them both.

LonelyGoatherd Thu 07-Nov-13 19:10:26

Lake Garda is stunning, and near enough to Venice and Verona if you fancy a daytrip.

Poppy954 Thu 07-Nov-13 21:24:33

Thank you bun an lonely.

LIZS Thu 07-Nov-13 21:30:44

If your elder 2 might fancy trying watersports the northern Lake Garda resorts (Riva/Torbole) are really good. Nice beach/grassy areas to picnic at too.

ihatethecold Fri 08-Nov-13 18:48:16

Lake Garda is really lovely.
You have a theme park and water park nearby.
It was called gardaland when we went years ago.

It can get very hot in August.
When we went in June it was 40 degrees.

Bunbaker Fri 08-Nov-13 18:56:32

I have been twice in August and it was about 30 - 32 degrees, but not unbearable.

Poppy954 Mon 11-Nov-13 18:33:56

Thank you for all the advice. Looks like Lake Garda it is. I'll look into temperatures. We're all used to very hot except the baby of course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now