Activity holidays with 2 boys

(15 Posts)
Willabywallaby Sun 03-Nov-13 08:18:11

Hi

After a few static caravan holidays I want to do an activity holiday. In the past we've done mark warner, neilson and crystal beach clubs (now swallowed up by sunsail). This was all before the children or when DS1 was less than 2YO. (When we had more spare cash!)

The boys will be 6YO and 8YO. The 8YO has done a bit of sailing with a week course locally in the summer, the younger one is a more cautious child generally, but did do waterskiing with a bar this summer.

So my question is which companies should I look at and are there any little known gems?

I liked neilson because I liked the other guests. I'm put off mark warner due to my memory of being asked what I did for a living and it was all too 'middle class', in general not as down to earth.

So I'm going to look into neilson, sunsail, club med?

Any further suggestions or recommendations gratefully received!

And DH loves waterskiing so if there's somewhere that includes that in activities would be big bonus.

Lizzylou Sun 03-Nov-13 08:24:48

Phew that Neilson is down to earth! We are going to Greece with our two boys 9 and 7 next year. Neilson seemed best value and best all round choice of activities when we looked.
There is The Family Adventure Co or something, but ds2 was possibly a bit too young for a lot of the trips on offer.

BellsaRinging Sun 03-Nov-13 08:26:48

We love neilson and booked for the new resort in greece recently. Got a good deal by booking with thomas cook website whi seem to have random good deals. We have 2 boys as well and bizarrely find it's better value to book 2 rooms with one adult one child in each. run risk of not being together but ring neilson and request next door rooms and they havent let us down so far. also my old work and dp's have employee schemes where you can get tc vouchers with 5% off and pay the balance with them

MortifiedAnyFuckerAdams Sun 03-Nov-13 08:28:01
Willabywallaby Mon 04-Nov-13 14:05:20

I was thinking somewhere a bit warmer and PGL does make me think of school trips, but thanks for the ideas.

theoriginalandbestrookie Mon 04-Nov-13 18:08:26

Our friends went with Neilson to Greece this summer, it was so good that even their notoriously grumpy DH was raving about it.

We are all planning to go next year as they said it was so good.

specialsubject Mon 04-Nov-13 20:10:20

your 6 YO is too young to learn to sail but can do some playing with a few joyrides. The eight year old can learn if interested - and if not should join the playing about club with joyrides.

Neilson offer both types of clubs, and fun for you too. Resorts differ (some have no wind, some have lots) so read between the lines very carefully!

They do include a little waterskiing in their resorts now - but again, that needs no wind so it is either a no-wind resort or early starts.

Willabywallaby Mon 04-Nov-13 20:51:13

Is 6 too young to learn to sail or will they not take him out? My niece went in a pico in France this summer, she's 7 this month.

Willabywallaby Fri 27-Dec-13 07:04:12

So I started looking at neilson....

And then I looked at Mark Warner, and it's cheaper! I was really surprised. We've been with Mark Warner prechildren and found it all a bit middle class, but now I've found out it's cheaper I'm back onto it.

I like the look of the Rhodes one, has anyone been?

givemeaclue Tue 31-Dec-13 14:04:06

We have done neilsons x 3 always fantastic. Never done mark warner, if is cheaper check the same things are included.

givemeaclue Tue 31-Dec-13 14:05:00

Yes neilsons is very down to earth, accommodation is fairly basic don't expect luxury. Changing for dinner mostly consists of not wearing a wetsuit.

givemeaclue Tue 31-Dec-13 14:06:07

Re the sailing, they take them out sailing from baby age, but formal sailing lessons I think start at age 8

Willabywallaby Mon 27-Jan-14 13:05:21

I've booked mark warner Rhodes, so hopefully all boys will be suitably entertained and I will get to read my book!

Thanks for ideas.

Theonlyoneiknow Wed 29-Jan-14 15:03:20

can you book Neilson's holidays through Thomas Cook or have I misunderstood the above? Thanks

sofi0308 Wed 29-Jan-14 15:58:38

country kids in france, look at MN best list.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now