Anybody has been to Sardinia or lake Guarda?

(66 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

humphryscorner Thu 17-Oct-13 15:03:53

I'm going to ask dh to take me for my birthday next year for my birthday I'm getting old and it's too fucking depressing to suffer it here

I'm going to take dd2 who will be one.

Anybody been loved/hated it. Where's the best place to go for food hot Italian men ect ..

Yes will do asap

mignonnetteZOMBIEKILLEROFHQ Mon 21-Oct-13 14:08:58

Yes thank you Franca. That would be lovely.

Mignonette I haven't visited Matera yet blush and it is in fact in my "to go" list. Friends of ours stop there on their way back to Milan this summer and loved it. There are some nice hotels too, I am told.

Not an expert on Molise and Basilicata (again on my to go list), but I know Le Marche quite well, shall I send you a private message?

mignonnetteZOMBIEKILLEROFHQ Mon 21-Oct-13 12:57:34

I want to go to Matera next, Franca. Where would you suggest in Campania/Basilicata/Le Marche?

mignonnetteZOMBIEKILLEROFHQ Mon 21-Oct-13 12:56:41

Yes, La Pelosa is at Stintino. There are no words for the beauty of this beach. We swam over to the island in such warm waters. I got a little teary when I first saw the beach and also seeing Spinosa Cove at Capo Testa quite by chance. We were driving up to La Pelosa via Argenteria (deserted silver mining town) when we turned off down a little gorse clogged track and there was Spinosa Cove. Magical. I'll never forget it.

Oh la Pelosa is the one in Stintino, no? Gorgeous.We were in Puglia in Easter, 24 degrees in the sunshine. It was 10 degrees colder here in Milan grin

mignonnette Mon 21-Oct-13 12:27:42

I always go to Sardinia before the start of June and after the last week of September. The last time we went was the middle of April and we sunbathed at La Pelosa beach in 80 degrees of heat and had a glorious two weeks. The seas are warmer in September and it is still around 80 degrees n the sun. Avoid August as it is the national holidays and the beaches are rammed.

I am Italian and I would always pick Sardinia over the lakes in Northern Italy.

I missed the post where you say when you want to go, if the date is off season (from mid september to mid June), you will find good bargains for Sardinia.

If it's only for a long weekend I suggest Cagliari. You can fly direct. The city is small and lovely. From the city centre you take the bus and in 15 minutes you are at Poetto, which is a long, beautiful beach with lots of restaurants. here. The area around Cagliari is also quite cheap.

Costa Smeralda is very expensive and not that genuine (thogh the sea is amazing).

mignonnette Mon 21-Oct-13 11:58:36

Bored in Sardinia? The mind boggles!

Have been there loads of times and it is stunningly beautiful, gorgeous food, beaches, mountains and very safe too. Avoid the NE coast as very ££££ but La Pelosa beach is breathtaking as are the beaches near Alghero if you don't have a car. I have a Sardinia pinterest page here.

We have travelled all over by car and by moped too. There's a fabulous cross island train journey through the mountains you can take, stay overnight then return that is quite the adventure. For mountain and outdoor pursuits Su Gologne is a good base with fabulous hotels. St Theresa Di Gallura is a lovely beach resort as are the coastal regions above Alghero up to Stintino with hundreds of deserted coves to be discovered.

How anybody can be bored in Sardinia is a mystery!

PortoFiendo Mon 21-Oct-13 11:52:03

Hehe.

Hehe portofiendo I noticed I'd misspelled it but as I'd killed the thread thought no one would see! wink

PortoFiendo Sun 20-Oct-13 22:22:52

It's Garda, not Guarda. Pedant alert ;-0

Lake Guarda is beautiful but I really love Lake Como. Sardinia is on my list of places to go.
<helpful>

LIZS Sun 20-Oct-13 08:32:48

I got bitten more on Como than Garda !

Bunbaker Sat 19-Oct-13 23:55:04

Yes, Garda has a mosquito problem, although we didn't see any in Sirmione this August.

bebopanddoowop Sat 19-Oct-13 13:42:42

I went to Sardinia as a young teenager with my family and I loved it. I don't have a lot of advice on where to go because I don't remember, and we stayed in a all inc resort cos that was easiest with 4 kids. But I just wanted to say I disagree with PP that said there's nothing to do - there's wonderful little villages and history - beautiful nature and the beaches are gorgeous and I'm not really a beach-lover but I vividly remember being the happiest and most energised I had felt in the sea there! But yes it is quite mountainous there and the roads up there are pretty scary driving along!

NorbertDentressangle Sat 19-Oct-13 13:29:13

We went to Alghero a couple of years ago and loved it - would definitely go back!

Iwaswatchingthat Sat 19-Oct-13 13:26:04

I loved lake garda, but be warned we were bitten by flying insects day and night. Take plenty of insect repellant and piriton!!!

Chopstheduck Sat 19-Oct-13 13:21:43

I didn't like como. Bugger all there, horrendous traffic, no where to park, queues for ferries. Very expensive too.

Bunbaker Sat 19-Oct-13 10:51:18

We're not interested in places like Gardaland. We don't like theme parks.

NeverTalksToStrangers Sat 19-Oct-13 01:22:19

Has nobody else mentioned Garda Land? LOVED it. Bit awkward with a baby (we had 2 under 4 there) but still brilliant.

PortoFiendo Sat 19-Oct-13 01:16:02

Milan would be the nearest airport. We had the car but I think it is relatively easy to get to the port in Como to get ferries.

ErrolTheDragon Fri 18-Oct-13 17:47:59

>I want to go to Lake Como.

does sound nice - definitely somewhere to go with DH once DD is off our hands if not before. (BTW my comment about watersports - the Italian lakes probably aren't the best place to learn, just didn't want you to be sad unnecessarily if it's something you like the sound of trying smile

Bunbaker Fri 18-Oct-13 17:43:50

I want to go to Lake Como.

Sorry for hijacking the thread BTW

ErrolTheDragon Fri 18-Oct-13 17:34:12

>And we don't do watersports either - I can't see without my glasses on

neither can my DH (he's seriously shortsighted and can't tolerate contacts)... he uses a spectacle tie just like I do for sunglasses, no problem sailing/windsurfing in glasses at all. Don't let that stop you if you fancy it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now