Gran Melia palacio de isora/ Sensatori Tenerife?

(23 Posts)
Augustaprodworthy Tue 15-Oct-13 20:04:14

Has anyone stayed there recently? I tried tripadvisor but it was mostly coupled who had stayed at Red Level.
Is it a good hotel for children out of season? Is there a beach there yet ?
Any advice would be great, as would alternative Canary Island hotels for November/December
Thanks

CreamyCooler Thu 17-Oct-13 15:57:46

I haven't been to either but really fancied the Sensatori one year, when I researched it I noticed it had a salt water which my DC were not keen on. Would this matter to you?

CreamyCooler Thu 17-Oct-13 15:58:26

I haven't been to either but really fancied the Sensatori one year, when I researched it I noticed it had a salt water Pool which my DC were not keen on. Would this matter to you?

I was looking at the sensatori but will cross it off now as salt water pool is a deal breaker for my DCs.

LaceyLee Fri 18-Oct-13 16:31:08

Sheraton Salobre in gran canaria is great for families, no beach but loads of different pools and there are two golf courses right outside.

specialsubject Fri 18-Oct-13 17:17:24

why is a salt water pool a problem?

south Tenerife is very dry. Wasting desalination plant products on pools doesn't make sense.

I agree in theory.
DC like pool centred holidays and we once went to a hotel in Fuertaventura with salt water pools. It was a big complex with several huge pools. The first day they jumped into the pool and jumped straight out again. Flatly refused to go in it again for the rest of the holiday. They were not alone. The two large pools remained virtually empty while the one tiny fresh water pool was standing room only.
Holidays are expensive and important, so I would never risk it again. I've ruled out some great looking resort hotels in Kos for the same reason.

CreamyCooler Fri 18-Oct-13 17:58:21

Me too yourlittlesecret. I almost booked a Mitsis one in Kos and then noticed on some reviews that a salt water pool was mentioned. My DS's really dislike them. Hope you find somewhere.

specialsubject Fri 18-Oct-13 19:45:42

wow. Point entirely taken, but wonder what their issue is?

Dressingdown1 Fri 18-Oct-13 20:09:05

I have never stayed at the Sensatori, but I know the area quite well as it is situated by a pleasant coastal walk. It is on the edge of a small village with a couple of bars and not a lot else, it is a bit bleak there imo. When I was last there in May 2013 the coastal infrastructure work was still going on and I don't think there was really a beach, but things may have moved on since then.

Of course it's all down to personal choice, but we like the Barcelo Santiago, in Puerto de Santiago, which has some good pools, though it is a lower grade of hotel. I think it's a nice hotel for children and although Puerto de Santiago and its neighbour Los Gigantes are quiet resorts they are more interesting than Alcala with lots more going on. There is a small rocky beach in front of the Santiago Barcelo and the beaches at Los Gigantes and Playa la Arena are within walking distance. Tenerife doesn't have many really good beaches though.

The Sheraton Salobre in GC is also nice, as a previous poster says.

Augustaprodworthy Sat 19-Oct-13 07:30:42

Thank you , we will rule out the Sensatori/ gran Melia then.
We really liked the Yaiza in lanzarote as its near a great beach and there's places to walk to in thd early evening but their pools aren't heated and its pretty cold in them in November. We're really looking for something similar- beach front, near some shops and bars and with heated pools. Will look at the one recommended in GC. Any other suggestions? Otherwise it might be Dubai and I'd rather not.

BeckAndCall Sat 19-Oct-13 07:38:25

But I thought the big pool at Yaiza was salt water? I must misremember that. We were there this time last year ( what a fabulous hotel, by the way! Didn't like Lanzarote much though)

We liked the Sensatori in Crete - not salt water - but the 'package' that is Sensatori we think is perfect for us.

Have also stayed at the Bahia Princess in Tenerfie if its that island you want - really, really liked it.

And on Gran Canaria we stayed in a lovely place in Maspalomas ( I think).

So for me, there are great places on all of those islands! But at this time of year, the pools at all of those places are a bit chilly, for my money. I wish they'd heat them!

Augustaprodworthy Sat 19-Oct-13 08:47:15

The big pool at Yaiza is salt but the other one isn't (not heated) and the kids pool is fresh as was the jacuzzi pool. Will look at your bahia princess suggestion, thank you.

BeckAndCall I was looking at sensatori for next summer so Crete would be fine, how old are your DC? I have two teenage boys so want plenty going on for them, other teenagers around, not too isolated and preferably a waterpark not too far away. Would it fit the bill do you think?

BeckAndCall Sat 19-Oct-13 11:07:14

And august if you do look at the Bahia princess, next door to it is the grand princess and you can go to the evening entertainment in either! For us, I preferred the pool area of the Bahia princess but the inside lounges of the grand princess. ( this knowledge is a little 'old' now but that's how we found it a few years ago)

yourlittlesecret we went the first year it opened (2008?) in the October - so not too hot but also not high season for testing out any kids clubs ( my DC would all have been mid teens at the time in any case). The evening entertainment ( which is what we really like when we're away) was a cut above other resorts we've been too - a classical trio, a top quality illusionist, as well as he usual bands and tribute acts.

We did think that the resort is actually at the 'wrong end' of Crete - it's a fabulous resort in itself - and not much reason to ever need to go offsite tbh!- but if you do venture out there's not that much to do unless you drive a fair distance. But definitely do a day at Knossos - really great museum/archeology day out.

Dressingdown1 Sat 19-Oct-13 11:09:29

I think Tenerife has the best climate (for the Canaries) in autumn and early winter, specially towards the southern/western bit. We often go around that time of year and have always had warm weather, though the swimming pools can be a bit chilly.

We're going early December this year so hoping that we get our usual weather. We swim every day there and DH likes the sea swimming too, though I am usually not brave enough. The sea swimming pools can be lovely when it's not rough.

theoriginalandbestrookie Sun 20-Oct-13 08:43:10

We stayed in the Iberostar Anthelia in Tenerife and would recommend it. It has two pools and the smaller one is not salt water, when I say smaller I just mean not as huge as the main one.
It's very child friendly and situated very close to the beach. If you check the trip advisor reviews it's very popular.

Augustaprodworthy Tue 22-Oct-13 07:42:44

thanks everyone. I think we have found the perfect one now, in Fuerteventura. On beach, near shops, good facilities for children. Good value too.

givemeaclue Tue 22-Oct-13 16:44:16

Where have you ended up booking out of interest

Augustaprodworthy Tue 22-Oct-13 17:33:06

Sheraton in fuerteventura.

givemeaclue Tue 22-Oct-13 18:57:02

I have stayed there with my children it is nice

holidayseeker Mon 04-Nov-13 14:04:39

Just to mention that even though the infinity pool is salt water the there is also a kids splash pool and family pool that are not and this was fine for my kids.

We all liked the hotel and as we went in peak season they had things like bouncy castles and games in conference room at night.

Oriunda Sat 30-Nov-13 19:17:52

Posting late but just back from Sensatori Tenerife. Fabulous. The only salt water pool is the (mostly adults) infinity pool. There is a kids' splash pool and a family pool, which are both non-salt water. Alcala itself is fine and there is a great cafe with soft play. Beach work continues. Siam Park very close and well worth a visit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now