Paris Disney in the winter?

(17 Posts)
HuevosRancheros Sun 13-Oct-13 21:30:43

NewBlue we are actually thinking of going to Florida next October halfterm (2014), when we get 2 weeks.
Kids are 5 and 3 now, I'm not looking forward to the flights, so would a) rather wait til they're a bit older and b) go for longer to make the flight worth it!
But yes, DH agrees with you about sunshine, American attitude etc.

NewBlueShoesToo Sun 13-Oct-13 20:59:31

Oh no I sound food mad!

NewBlueShoesToo Sun 13-Oct-13 20:57:13

Check the Florida package versus Paris prices carefully. We have been to both and I think Florida is so much better. I think it needs the Americans to work! I think you need sunshine and smiley 'have a nice day ' types.

The food is v expensive at EuroD so you need a car to be able to eat elsewhere.

If you go to Florida for a week there is so much more to do, good food and hotels and check the exchange rate, our trip wasn't much more expensive and we did a full meal deal.

Saying that the Paris site is okay but if I was going to France I would prefer to go somewhere else. It just seemed wrong to be eating and drinking such bad food and wine in France.

Floralnomad Sun 13-Oct-13 20:17:11

TBH booking direct has always worked out cheapest for us ( and we've been doing it since it opened) .The price really hikes if you fly / train which we've done a couple of times but I prefer to drive and it's very easy to do so .

HuevosRancheros Sun 13-Oct-13 20:03:37

Brilliant, thank you all smile
DH has always been quite anti it, he would rather save and go to Florida and get the weather.
But it could be magical at Christmas/New Year in snow.... I guess I just wondered how much of a disaster it would be in the rain. It sounds like you can seek refuge from rain when you need to.
Mummymeister, when I said 'cheaper', I merely meant, are you paying through the nose booking direct with Disney, can you book the hotels, park tickets etc through another agent for less money.
Fully accepting that Disney = £€!

Thanks smile

MrsCornish Sun 13-Oct-13 19:48:17

we went a couple of days before Christmas last year, it rained solidly all day, and was very very busy. i don't regret going though. i think i wish we had understood the layout of the park better in advance. We enjoyed ourselves most as the afternoon wore on and the smaller people went home. the morning was the hardest slog. we stayed in a cheap hotel Tulip Inn Marne La Vallée in a dormitory bit of paris, a short train ride away from disney. that was great. and i think we booked the disney tickets through the disney site.

Floralnomad Sun 13-Oct-13 19:42:45

We go every year in December , we don't generally get lots of rain but that could be luck ,we have had snow on several occasions . It is truly freezing although not as cold as Copenhagen in December ! We have been at all different times of the year and particularly like the Christmas season . We always book direct with Disney for hotels ( usually stay at the New York ) and book euro tunnel separately( we drive) , but wait to book when they have an offer on .This year we got a 40% off deal.

kaumana Sun 13-Oct-13 19:36:56

Should have added that we booked flights etc individually and saved a fair bit. We stayed at Sequioa Lodge which had a nice Christmas theme.

Kormachameleon Sun 13-Oct-13 19:35:34

We went in January a few years back

It hit -12
But we were prepared with thermals, a full ski suit for DS and good warm snow boots

It is outside, you will get cold and wet so go prepared or go in summer

We are hardy horsey types so adverse whether is ok and we chose To go then to save money and know the queues would be less

But of being wet and cold bothered us it would have been horrendous

hermioneweasley Sun 13-Oct-13 19:35:22

It's pretty geared up to the weather - most of the rides and queuing areas are under cover. I have always found booking through a company called Short Breaks is cheaper than booking direct with Disney.

AllabouttheE Sun 13-Oct-13 19:32:06

It's in a wind tunnel. It's fecking freezing there

kaumana Sun 13-Oct-13 19:30:38

It was very cold when we went far colder than it was in Scotland! I bought thermals to wear which were a godsend and took our skijackets too. It did pour down one day which emptied the park so we did a lot or rides over and over again.

Be prepared and you'll have a great time.

dingit Sun 13-Oct-13 17:55:11

Think the coldest you have been and then add cold again. My dc ended up with their pyjamas on under their clothes as another layer. Saying that, it was lovely.

mummymeister Sun 13-Oct-13 17:52:23

we went in November after half term when ours were smaller and it rained every day of the 4 days we were there. it was tedious having to queue in the rain but more so for the adults than the kids who didn't seem to notice. this area of france has the same amount of rainfall as GB so you takes your chances. but honestly you aren't going for the weather so would say stay in the main hotel princess castle which is on site and just keep popping back to change out of wet things if it is a problem. buy ponchos too. you might need to check if water rides will be open if you are going to want to go on these. as for cheaper - its Disneyland if it could be done cheaper everyone would you just have to pay up and enjoy.

HuevosRancheros Sun 13-Oct-13 12:54:42

Yes, you see, a light dusting of snow would be lovely smile
And I would come prepared with warm clothes

But if it peed it down from dawn til dusk, do you just have to grin and bear it, because everything's outside, or is some of it under cover?

Thanks smile

HouseAtreides Sun 13-Oct-13 12:42:08

We went in March ten years ago- we LOVED it. Yes, it's very cold. But they sell hot chocolate everywhere, the queues are short (I doubt they would be at Christmas though) and IT SNOWED! Just enough for an icing-sugar sprinkle. I was inwardly outwardly squealing like a toddler at that- walking up Main Street with all the gaudy lights on the shops and arcades, hot chocolate in hand, snow gently falling. grin

HuevosRancheros Sun 13-Oct-13 12:37:24

We are thinking of going to Paris Disney some time in the school Christmas holidays

Have never been before (to any Disney), and was wondering - if the weather is blooming awful <glares outside>, would it ruin it? Or is there much stuff under cover? I don't mind cold, we can wrap up warm, and would expect to at that time of year, but rain all the time would make me miserable I think.....

Also, how do people book it? Direct through the Disneylandparis website? Or is there a way of getting it cheaper?

Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now