Help me find the right Mediterranean resort for August 2014!

(8 Posts)
toolatetobed Mon 07-Oct-13 23:37:23

For the past few summers we have been to a small beach resort in Menorca which we really like, but we feel our 13-year-old DS has now "outgrown" it as all the activities are geared towards younger children and most of the children there are younger. Being within walking distance of a sandy beach is a "must have". Definitely don't want somewhere noisy or where we are likely to encounter lots of people getting drunk. Our 13-year-old DS will really want to meet other kids his own age. Doesn't need elaborate organised activities, but some activities that break the ice by bringing together younger teens would be really good, even if it's just someone organising a game of football or a game of water polo in the hotel pool. We like to go self-catering.

Any suggestions welcome!

SooticaTheWitchesCat Mon 14-Oct-13 10:11:15

What about Turkey? There are some lovely resorts, not too big but not too small that would possibly suit you. Bitez, Turgutreis or Yalikavak on the Bodrum Peninsula, Olu Deniz or Dalyan in the Dalaman are area or Kas, Kalkan or Side near Antalya.

NoComet Mon 14-Oct-13 10:43:09

All the area of the East coast of Majorca from Cala Bona, Cala Millor, Sa Coma, down to S'Illiot has beaches within walking distance and a long sea front with bikes for hire and the possibility of going riding.

Also Majorca has two big water parks and far more shows and trips than Menorca. (Menorca looks beautiful, but no day trip to a water park is an instant No in this house).

I don't know about other teen stuff as my teen is an antisocial fish who is quite happy to play in the pool on her own or with her younger sister and go snorkeling for hourse with me and or her Dad.

DD2 will be a problem next time, she just sneaked into the top edge of kids club, made lots of friends and they all played in the pool and raced about in the evening.

Next holiday she'll be 13 too and probably grumpy. DD1 will be 16 and no problem at all as long as she's allowed the odd wander round the shops on her own.

toolatetobed Tue 15-Oct-13 16:45:27

Thank you both very much for the replies. Starball, before I read your post I was thinking of Sa Coma, so great to have someone else come to the same conclusion!

Sootica, I think Turkey might fit the bill perfectly in a cooler month but I am concerned I would just find it too hot in August. When it gets really hot in Menorca I sometimes wish I could turn the temperature down by a few degrees(!) and I imagine average temperatures in Turkey will be higher than Menorca.

kikipie Tue 15-Oct-13 16:46:41

Carvoeiro in the algarve, excellent for families

NoComet Tue 15-Oct-13 22:21:35

I haven't self-catered, stayed at the Bada Vista 1/2 board twice.

Med buffets suit us perfectly, there is always some thing fusspot DD2 will eat and the rest of us get something interesting and I don't have to mess about cooking all the interesting veg in another pan or rescuing DD2's before adding sauce. It is bliss.

As is the fact you can walk to the beach, the shops and the bars. I live in the countryside which is lovely, but not driving for a week very nice.

We have stayed in Alvor in the Algarve, self-catering, years ago. Nice apartments and a beautiful, much wider beach than Majorca. But being the Atlantic it was a bit rough some days. Great now DD1 would body board, but not as good when they were small.

Might be nice with a teen, we found being up hill from town and beach hard work with small people. We found Portuguese restaurants were much less small child friendly and unbelievably, ridiculously slow. DD2 kept falling asleep.

Being main land there are lots of places to go and a huge water park.

goodtoesnaughtytoes Wed 16-Oct-13 20:05:30

I didn't think much of Sa Coma. Purpose built resort with no charm. Preferred Puerto Pollensa

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 17-Oct-13 10:29:29

Yes, it does get very hot in August, well into the 30s, sometimes it even hits 40! We are fine with it but if you find the heat in Menorca a bit too much then maybe it would be too hot for you in August.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now