Majorca in May? Will it be warm enough?

(15 Posts)
frenchfancy Tue 08-Oct-13 15:56:39

I wouldn't compare this year with a normal year. Even here in France the end of May can often be scorching hot, but this year we still had our jumpers on.

My friend goes to Majorca for the May half term every year and they normally have fab weather.

Boggler Fri 04-Oct-13 22:52:02

Thanks for the replies, we think we will chance it, so fingers crossed for a bit of sun and a bit of warmth.

Bunbaker Mon 30-Sep-13 21:16:41

I think the Med in May this year was cooler than usual. We went to Croatia at spring bank half term and the temperature struggled to get into the 20s. The previous time we went the temperature was 25 - 30 degrees.

We had a fortnight in Majorca at the end of May many years ago. We had a lot of rain, but it was localised and because we had hired a car we just chased the sun around the island. It was warm enough to sunbathe during the day, but you needed a cardigan in the evening.

chicaguapa Mon 30-Sep-13 21:02:46

We went at the end of May this year and we hadn't taken enough warm clothes with us. It wasn't 'warm you through to the bones' temperatures. Although all of Europe was rubbish that week anyway, it was enough for me to rule it out as an early summer sun at half term destination.

As an alternative to the Canaries, I think I'd look at Cyprus or Greece too.

We went 1st week of may and it was a bit cool the first couple of days then warned up towards the end.
When we arrived the taxi driver said it had rained for a week previously and was due to rain all week again shock

MyCatsRule Mon 30-Sep-13 20:47:42

Algarve is perfect in late May. Not too hot but definitely lovely swimming weather.

theoriginalandbestrookie Mon 30-Sep-13 18:42:45

We went to Majorca second week of June a couple of years ago. It was pleasant, but not roasting and the pool was a bit chilly. I would say that it could be hit or miss in May. For more guaranteed hot weather i would go to the Canaries.

wigglesrock Sat 28-Sep-13 18:21:25

We've been to both Majorca and Ibiza in May with small kids. It's always been warm for us - no problem swimming or spending time at the beach. I've needed a light hoodie/ cardigan some nights.

clam Fri 27-Sep-13 19:14:07

I would say Majorca would be pleasant, but not boiling. We went May half term one year, and I found myself by the pool in a cozzy thinking "Hmm, I could do with an extra layer!" I'm sure it varies, but you might be better venturing further South.

specialsubject Fri 27-Sep-13 19:03:38

May is close to the summer solstice and rays will be strong. If it is warm enough to take your coat off - the two are not related!

purple15 Fri 27-Sep-13 10:55:42

Hi, we went this year at Spring Bank. The first three days were cloudy and cold. MY Mum ended up buying a coat. Then the sun came out and it was lovely.
I would definitely go back at that time of year. After one week I came home with a lovely suntan.

Where is the great hotel you are thinking of ?

NoComet Thu 26-Sep-13 23:39:44

Used to go very end of may, pre DCs as Dh had odd leave that put mayday onto late spring bank holiday.

Usally warm enough for beach, sea and pool. Sometimes a bit windy. Never got rain.

sweetestcup Thu 26-Sep-13 23:37:05

Ive been to Crete in late May and it was lovely.

nancy75 Thu 26-Sep-13 23:10:40

We went a couple of times in may when dd was little. The first time was lovely, warm but not boiling. The following year we went for a week and it rained every day ( really rained, not showers). Personally I wouldnt go again that early in the year.

Boggler Thu 26-Sep-13 23:01:03

Trying to book a holiday for next year, we don't want anywhere that's too hot, anywhere over 30c is definitely out. So we've found a fantastic hotel in Majorca but wondering just how warm it's likely to be in May. As I've said we don't want it too hot but we do want to be able to go on the beach without jumpers! If Majorca isn't going to be warm enough any other sensible suggestions for a family travelling with very young children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now