German Christmas markets

(21 Posts)
Allinafankle Germany Wed 18-Dec-13 21:19:58

Reibekuche with apple sauce - yum yum yum!

I'm just back from Berlin and as usual has such a good time. You'll be spoilt for choice with knick-knacks and Christmas decorations to buy.

Have a wonderful time all! envy

Isthiscorrect England Mon 16-Dec-13 02:48:11

Thanks primrose, that's sound delicious.

Primrose123 Sat 14-Dec-13 13:00:59

Make sure you get a Reibekuche, it's shredded potato fried in a burger shape, lovely!

I used to live in Germany, and the Cologne markets were lovely. I loved the markets in the small towns though. Also, see if you can buy a half chicken from the 'chickenman'. They have a van and roast lots of chickens on spits, and they are amazing!

Isthiscorrect England Sat 14-Dec-13 12:47:48

lljkk honestly I've no real idea. I'm hoping that I can find some glass tree decorations. I'm thinking of buying a nativity set for me and then I can pass it on to Ds when he has a family. Apparently they have decorated biscuits they might be nice as a stocking filler, and of course marzipan , don't like it myself but dh and ds love it. Candles not really suitable for children. Gluehein for me ;-) and coffee and cake shops, yumyum.

Have a wonderful time.

lljkk Netherlands Fri 13-Dec-13 19:02:00

How exciting, Isthisc!

I am visiting 2 in Berlin next week.
What should I buy? What kind of nice things might I find?
Am looking for small stocking stuffers for 4xDC age 5-14, too.

Isthiscorrect England Fri 13-Dec-13 18:04:13

Well we are all booked. We've used our air miles and are off to Munich next Thursday, direct flight so Munich it is. I'm so excited, I've got new boots and a new coat (we live in the UAE so no need for coat and boots normally), and the weather forecast says 40% chance of snow on the Saturday. Squeal grin

Allinafankle Germany Tue 01-Oct-13 19:32:30

Shh MissWimpyDimple - don't tell everyone! ;)

MissWimpyDimple Mon 30-Sep-13 22:24:11

I loved Munich, but most larger (and smaller towns) have pretty decent markets! Munich is perfect though as there is lots to do and see.

I absolutely love Germany. Europes best kept secret wink Planning a summer holiday to the Mosel Valley too.

Allinafankle Germany Sun 29-Sep-13 23:29:30

Have a look at www.germany-christmas-market.org.uk for dates and ideas of where to go. Oh I'm feeling all Christmassy now!

EBearhug Sun 29-Sep-13 16:23:17

I've been to Dortmund, as I had a German boyfriend for some years. I enjoyed it, especially the roast chestnuts (I like chestnuts anyway.) We went round trying all sorts of bits of food (Apple puffer things). I have some lovely Christmas tree ornaments from there, though there is also some utter tat available, like any sort of market.

I was a bit underimpressed by the Christmas tree - I was told it was the largest Christmas tree at any market, but it turned out not to be a single tree, but a giant green pyramid made up of loads of tree branches. I'd have probably been more impressed if I hadn't had the wrong idea in the first place...

captainmummy Sun 29-Sep-13 16:14:52

EduCated - when you know where you are going, look up the town's website. It will normally tell you when they start.

captainmummy Sun 29-Sep-13 16:13:41

I go to one every year, not always Germany. I've been to Cologne, Berlin, Nuremberg, Munich, Prague and Zurich.
The one I'd recommend is Berlin, - It's the biggest.
Prague and Nuremberg are pretty.

I'm going to Lille this year - Eurostar sale! I love Christmas Markets!

FreddieStarrAteMyHamster Sun 29-Sep-13 16:06:24

Munich is meant to be lovely and you might get snow!

Snargaluff Sun 29-Sep-13 16:03:29

They start around 25th November generally

Snargaluff Sun 29-Sep-13 16:02:28

Munich is nice :-) cologne is lovely as is berlin. Haven't been to any others really!

EduCated Bosnia-Herzegovina Sun 29-Sep-13 15:58:18

Any idea when the markets tend to start? We're looking to go too, in November, hopefully.

Allinafankle Germany Sun 29-Sep-13 15:48:28

We go every year, but then I'm a bit of a Germany-aholic! Recent trips have been to Cologne (very popular with British holidaymakers), Dusseldorf, Frankfurt and Berlin. Heading back to Berlin again this year. Nuremberg is supposed to be fantastic though.

The medieval Christmas market is fantasti it is also not far from Cologne so if you went for a long weekend you could do both. I am very much hoping to again next year. I fyou get to the opening day of the market the Mayor of Siegburg along with other memebers of the local council will drees in medieval costume and do a tour of the market before opening it, there will be lot's of enetrtainment we reaally loved this market.

www.travelandlifestylediaries.com/2007/12/medieval-christmas-market-in-siegburg.html

girlywhirly Fri 27-Sep-13 11:51:24

The only one I've been to is Cologne, several markets in different areas. But that was an organised coach trip with DH's work. We enjoyed it though.

TapTapBangBang Thu 26-Sep-13 20:37:16

I used to live in Germany and visited them every year, they're lovely, but I'm not sure I'd specifically travel to Germany for one. But if you make a weekend of it Germany is lovely. I have to say though I don't really know Munich. The best one I remember from my youth was Stuttgart. Ate loads of spatzle and sauerkraut and drank lots of gluhwein. smile

Isthiscorrect England Thu 26-Sep-13 16:13:22

Has anyone been to a real, I mean in Germany, Christmas market? Was it worth it? I have always wanted to go and DH says we can this year (hooray). what I'd really like to know is if anyone has any opinions on which city would be best. I'm thinking Munich because it suits our flight times. Any thoughts?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now