Where in Italy should we go?

(14 Posts)
Dancergirl Wed 25-Sep-13 11:32:50

We are about to book a cruise next summer that goes in and out of Rome. We then want to spend another 5 days or so somewhere in Italy but not sure where.

I'd like somewhere on the coast. I'm a bit worried about the weather, will it be really hot in early August? Is it a bit cooler on the coast?

AndHarry Wed 25-Sep-13 21:08:08

Yes it is going to be hot in August. If you don't like heat then stay well away from Florence. It's in a valley and it's like being in a cooking pot in the summer.

Back to the point... Cinqueterre is beautiful and on the coast, or how about going to Sicily?

headlesslambrini Wed 25-Sep-13 21:12:59

Lake Garda - beautiful, up north and in mountains so might be a little cooler. You might need to fly from Rome up though.

zenoushka Fri 27-Sep-13 16:50:16

Would absolutely recommend Cinqueterre - absolutely stunning. We based ourselves in the town of Levanto which was lovely and only 5 minutes away by train. It had a great beach too. It is definitely going to be HOT!

zenoushka Fri 27-Sep-13 16:52:29

Another option is the island of Ischia off the Naples coast. We've been twice and have had the best time. It's beautiful and very Italian.

Dancergirl Fri 27-Sep-13 17:44:56

About the temps - will it be much higher than 30 deg? I'm ok with low 30s but if it creeps up any more not sure how I'll cope....!

Yes the lakes are lovely, dh and I went to Lake Maggiore years ago, beautiful.

zenoushka and andharry whereabouts is Cinqueterre in relation to Rome?

AndHarry Fri 27-Sep-13 22:25:34

Cinqueterre is about 5 hours north on the train. Personally I would take an internal flight instead.

I used to live in Florence and the summer heat was mid-high 30's there, a few degrees cooler on the coast.

Rosa Fri 27-Sep-13 22:29:34

Coming back into Rome , down to the Amalfi coast ? Fly over to Sardinia - always a bit breezy there. The Tuscan coast is pleasant as well- Viareggio .
Yep it can be hot but as said keep away from the cities .

Dancergirl Sat 28-Sep-13 15:34:33

How far is the Amalfi coast from Rome?

Dancergirl Sat 28-Sep-13 15:35:01

Trying to avoid a flight if possible!

sassolino Sat 28-Sep-13 15:43:33

Can second Viareggio. My husband's grandma lives there, and we visited it many times. The best gelato in the world, and the best pine nuts biccies.
Along the Passeggiata there are so many fab boutiques and cafes. Very lively. Brings back memories of great Bellinis I had there. sigh

tulipsgirl77 Sat 28-Sep-13 15:53:14

I second the earlier suggestion of Ischia, v nice. I have also stayed in Positano on the Amalfi coast, such a lovely place, didn't want to leave. Rimini is also really nice. We stayed in Rimini as it's half way between Venice and Florence on the train...although i think it's quite touristy these days. Sorrento is also always popular. Actually I just love the Amalfi coast, pick any resort on that coastline and you're guaranteed a good holiday! Enjoy, am v jealous as we won't be going to Italy for a while with such a young family!

MrsCharlesBrandon Sat 28-Sep-13 15:54:16

Temps can reach 45+ in Italy during August. We were in Amalfi at the end of Aug last year and it was 40+, Puglia same time this year and it was low 30's.
Amalfi coast is that awful combination of heat and humidity! Puglia is more of a dry heat so much more bearable.

Ancona maybe? Ischia is gorgeous but may be too far. Pescara is on the opposite coast and is a beautiful town.

tulipsgirl77 Sat 28-Sep-13 15:55:14

Oh and yes in August can be much hotter than 30 degrees. But if you're by the coast you might get a breeze!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now